New York City

This will be lengthy as I've accumulated lots of thoughts to express over the last few days as we headed off for some fun in the "City That Never Sleeps" - and how true that moniker is!!

Vacationing is fun - the travel to get to and from:  not so much.

I wonder if I will become one of those older ladies who travel alone (or in packs) who need help getting everywhere.

I'm amazed that all the stores around Times Square are open as late as they are - felt bad for the employees who have to work so late. (Loved the Fossil  and the Swarovski stores.  Didn't spend any money, though.)

Wednesday was filled with: getting computers fixed at The Husband's NYC office, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (it will be a much better view when the construction is finished and you can actually see the East river as you walk along), gazing upward in awe at the beautiful ceiling of Grand Central Station, getting accosted by the lady singing for donations in the subway - as I was studiously looking everywhere but at her.  (Didn't she know I had my "people block" going?)

and seeing "Mary Poppins".  Fabulous!!!

Thursday we visited the Cloisters Museum, the (unfinished after over 100 years) Cathedral of St. John The Divine, trekked all around the Garment District looking for this one shop we never did find, had some great NY pizza

and saw "Wicked"!!  Absolutely my favorite!!

Friday found us walking all along Battery Park, visiting Ground Zero (there is hope in the air there) riding the ferry to Staten Island (and getting to be out on deck on the way back - loved it) getting to see the Macy's Spring Flower Show (if you're ever in NYC in Mar/April be sure to see it!) walking the paths in Central Park and wishing the Carousel was running (still closed for the winter)

and seeing "The Phantom Of The Opera" - great!  I'm glad you chose so wisely, Husband.

My legs are strong enough to use as weapons after the strength workout they got going down and up, up and down, down and up those stairs to ride the subways.

Subways are a great way to get around - but beware of stray backpacks on the floor, they can trip you up.

The Macy's Spring Flower Show should be considered a public service - as grey as the weather was and all those New Yorkers wearing mostly black, the sight of those wondrous flowers was totally a mental health boost.

I like being an accidental genius.  It's way better than a deliberate dummy.

I will never take my fashion cues from the women of NYC - either my tastes are totally different from theirs or mirrors are in short supply in NY.

Dunkin' Donuts is permanently crossed off our list of eateries.

Times Square is busy every night, but Friday nights one must be particularly aggressive to get anywhere.  It's not even shoulder-to-shoulder it's more like pandemonium.

Having experienced a wide sampling across Manhattan: they aren't big into soft toilet paper - more like shaved cardboard.

I made it through this trip and all the many miles we walked with nary a blister.  I have ALWAYS had trouble with my feet and blisters.  What a treat to come home pain free.

Messenger bags are de rigueur for a reason.  I was glad that I schlepped all across Manhattan with mine - my rain slicker was on, off, on, off and it was great to have a place to carry it.  Backpacks are much more cumbersome.  However, I should probably find one a more sedate black or brown to better blend in.

We didn't have the usual "adventure" in travel this time - although I was worried when the pilot warned us at take-off for one of our flights that we were in for a bumpy ride - thank heavens he was able to fly above the turbulence.

I like those Airbus planes - they are super-smooth.

(And the unexpected:  On the 4 1/2 hour flight to Dulles on Tues., and the 4 1/2 hour flight from Dulles on Sat.,  we sat behind the very same couple!  What are the odds?!?)

And now we're home.  I have laundry piled like the Alps, an empty fridge until it is no longer the Sabbath and  mail that is mostly sorted / dealt with.  I have slept the sleep of angels in my own bed, showered in a shower that's bigger than a phone booth and decompressed from the incessant noise of too many people living in too small a space.  Lots of energy there, but I'm ready to relax.

Thanks, My Love, for a simply perfect trip.  I'm so glad you found me, don't leave without me.

(Where's "Wicked" playing next?)

No comments:

Post a Comment