A Day of Fives

I'm still astounded how "behind" I feel after having been gone for only 6 days.  I've played catch-up the entire day.  My progress seems tiny.  However, I did manage to:  get in a 5 + mile walk, do 5 loads of laundry (washed, dried, folded and put away, though the ironing will have to wait), run 5 errands, do the bills, vacuum, sift through the day's mail and kiss The Husband at least 5 times.

My walk's route this morning was over toward the high school.  Ended up walking with a fine young man on his way there.  He is the one who greeted me, waited for me to catch up (although at 6+ feet tall his stride was w-a-y longer than mine and I had to set a brisk pace) and carried on a reasonably interesting conversation.  I learned quite a bit about him, just not his name.  At a corner, he made noises that this was where he turned.  I mentioned I was going the same way, but, "if you'd rather not be seen walking with an old lady, feel free to go on ahead." (This was said with a smile.) What a cute response I received.  "It is always good to respect your elders," he said.  Also with a smile.  I'm quite befuddled as to why he wanted to share his walk to school - it was deliberate.  But based on his words and general attitude, his parents should be very pleased.  He is a credit to them.

Came home from my walk with goat slobber on my palm.  Remembered to take some carrots (they're the itty bitty kind).  The carrots were consumed with such rapidity I was amazed.  The greedy little guy (and his pen-mate, the mini horse) were visibly disappointed I had no more.  I'll have to walk that way again - with more carrots next time.

The real thing doesn't sit still long enough for me to get a pic.
The Orioles are back!  For a number of years we've eagerly anticipated the return of the orioles.  This picture doesn't even begin to do justice to the vivid color they are.  The male and female come and we suspect they nest and have a few babies before they head back to wherever they're from.  I've wondered if they accompany the hummingbirds since they seem to arrive at the same time each year.  What a delight they are to see!

And now for paragraph five:  I'm grateful today for working washing and drying machines, for good books to read, for people who have learned to be kind even at a young age, for lunch invitations (two in one week - wow!) for the sun that shines on my heart, for birthdays to celebrate and thoughtful gifts that are sent my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment