Morning Walk

Would have been on the road for the grandson's high school graduation this morning.  We ended up staying home.  Congratulations to our grandson and we're so pleased for him.  And hope he forgives us for our (physical) absence.

Since we weren't out on the road, I went out on the trail this morning.

My morning trail disguise.
And since I've accepted an invitation from a friend to walk with her a couple times a week, I have - basically - three days to walk / ride on my own.  I find I'm possessively and jealously protecting those three days.  There's something in my very soul that not only thrives, but needs that morning time to myself.  To quiet my mind, prepare for the day ahead, do a bit of praying, to refresh my senses, ease into the day, breath in....breathe out. The days I don't manage to get out end up a bit more challenging than the days I do.

From our yard.
This time of year the trail gets busy.  Even early in the morning.  I play dodge'em with the bikers (who decline to warn me of their passing from behind me).  I put on my sunglasses and my hat with the bill pulled low over my eyes and pretty much "hide" from the other people on the trail.  This time is for me. Yes, I'm selfish.  When there are dozens and dozens of people on the trail all seemingly bent on exchanging morning greetings I feel bombarded.  My peace and rejuvenation are endangered.  It becomes a walk of drudgery.

I feel unkind and ungrateful when I don't respond to their greetings.  At the same time, I walk for me, for a need I have.

The Husband has threatened to get me a t-shirt (that I'm tempted to accept) that says a jaunty "Good Morning" across the front.  Then I can respond without having to break my communion with the morning.  What color shall I request? What shade best fits the color of the morning? Yellow? Coral?

Today I'm feeling gratitude for forgiveness.  And for those who find it easy to forgive.  It seems I'm often in need of forgiveness in spite of my earnest desire to do better.  Forgiveness is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment