Last Weekend Of The Year

This picture is of yesterday's sunrise - taken through our bathroom window, the only place we could get high enough to see both canyons to the north.  I should have been out taking a walk.

Today will bring another snowstorm.  I love the winter.  (Mostly what I really love is the absence of the summer heat that I have so much difficulty with.)  I love the feeling I have of the world napping and rejuvenating for another cycle of growth.  The winter has its own kind of beauty - one that I often enjoy by myself out in the cold when the trails are mostly empty.

Yesterday we saw "Unbroken" the movie based on Lauren Hillenbrand's book about Louie Zamperini.  In my opinion the book was a "must-read".  And the movie: pretty much the same.  There was some stuff left out, but given the preponderance of material to work with it was done fairly well. Not a fun/fluff/entertainment movie, rather a tale to provoke thought and perhaps personal action.

I've been slowly cleaning up and sorting through all the holiday stuff.  Counted up the Christmas cards we received.  Barely 14% of them were religious in theme.  Makes me sad.  I didn't send a single card this year (religious Christmas cards to purchase for sending are becoming increasingly rare), something had to give so perhaps I really shouldn't voice my opinion.  But, I'm going to. The entire purpose of this season is to celebrate the birth of the Savior of this world.  Cards meant to commemorate this occasion that eliminate Him are in essence, eliminating Him totally.  Keeping in touch is a great thing.  Keeping Christ in our hearts and actions is even better. (And yes, those fingers are definitely pointing at me, too.)

And I'm looking forward to January.  I enjoy that month where it seems the thing most in the news is the weather.  Not much else goes on.  I like that respite.

I'm grateful for oatmeal for breakfast, for the treat of eating out on occasion, for the luxury of being able to go to movies, for personal name tags on gifts and for smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment