On Borrowed Time

My washing machine is making strange noises.  Has been for several years.  It's getting progressively worse.  I don't think my machine is going to last much longer.  I'm already nearly 5 years past the projected life of the machine.

So, I've been casually looking around at new ones.  Wow,  have things changed since our last washing machine purchase!  The options seem endless and a bit overwhelming.  I don't want lots and lots of fancy stuff.  And I'm not convinced that steam cleaning clothes is necessarily a good thing:  at my age shrinkage of clothes occurs even when they're just hanging in the closet.

Dying a slow death.
I just would like a sturdy machine that excels at what it is meant to do.  Clean our clothes.  The myriads of permutations of cycles and "extras" doesn't guarantee that. It just feels like that's more (expensive) stuff to go wrong.

Just because computers can do so much doesn't mean that they necessarily should.

I'm known to say something along those lines often:  "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."  I'm applying it here to washing machines.  But I often apply it to lots of areas in life.

Just because I can - make a wrong choice, ignoring the best one - doesn't mean I should.  Whether it's my language, my attitude, my obedience, my treatment of others...the "shoulds" should always take priority.  I need to remember the "shoulds", the better choices and make them.  Even when my emotions are screaming out for my own idea of justice.

I'm grateful for washing machines that so lighten my load (pun not really intended) even when they make lots of strange and alarming noises.  I'm grateful for cars that pass inspection.  I'm grateful for men who choose to not spit all over the place (IMO,  (and that's what this particular form is about: my own personal opinion)a truly disgusting habit.)

I'm also grateful that there's someone in this world who cares what happens to me.  I'm blessed enough to have one or two such people.  I love them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment