Hugs

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a touchy/feely/hugging kind of person.  My Mom was a hugger - but not usually with us kids, and Dad was very reserved.  Couple that with my own personal natural reserve (taking after Dad there) and I've never been much for physical contact with people.  (Other, of course, than The Husband whose touch I can never get enough of - love, love, love holding hands with him!)

As I've grown older I've discovered the pure salve and uplifting to my soul when given a hug from someone.  Somewhere along the line, someone (Thanks, Kids) taught the grandchilluns how to hug.  Everyone of them gives absolutely the best - bar none - hugs in the world.  And it would be near impossible to describe how much it means to me to have one of their wonderful hugs.

Last night a friend stopped by with her 17 year old grandson, who I've known for the last 10 years.  A couple years ago (I think the last time I saw him) I tried for a hug.  Didn't exactly thrill him.  And of course, I never want to force it.  But he's one lad I've always had a soft spot for.

So, last night he saw me from the car, gave me a wave, got out of the car, headed up to the porch straight for me and gave me a hug.  WOW!  I felt like I was walking in the clouds.  He's turning into a fine young man.

I hope to always remember how I felt when he hugged me.  Those are the tender mercies that see us through.  I hope he's blessed for his kindness to me.  It was truly a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment