Sunday Makes Me Contemplative

I haven't ever been a fan of sarcasm.  (I once had an Institute teacher who proclaimed his devotion to it.  Somehow lessened my enthusiasm for him.)  Sure, it can be funny and witty.  But all too often it is barbed and hurtful and targets the innocent.  And it is so easy to speak sarcasm.

Early on in our marriage we had a chat about it and decided that we were not going to succumb to the temptation to use it toward each other.  And, in fact to try to use it as little as possible.  That is a decision that I am forever grateful for.  In choosing to avoid frequent usage of sarcasm, we choose to respect others and find ourselves more aware of the words we use instead.

I have much in my life to fix, to learn from and improve.  And in particular, I will be on my knees tonight repenting of some words that I spoke instead of holding my tongue.

I am just grateful today that that is one area where we made a conscious choice.  And I think a good one.

Tonight, I am grateful that tomorrow is a new day.  One for me to try again to do what is right.  To eat better.  To be kinder.  To be more aware and express more gratitude.  To be more accepting.  To expect less from others.

I've mentioned before how Heavenly Father keeps me from getting cocky - doesn't let me get too carried away with myself before I'm brought up short.  Even that is a tender mercy.

That said, am I going to be held equally responsible for those wrong things I say as for the ones I merely think and don't express?  If so, I'm in a world of hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment