Car / People

I took my car in this morning to have a strange noise figured out.  Of course, they couldn't re-create the problem, so I'll be taking it in again next week.  The thing is....

I was sitting trying to read (find it hard to focus anymore when there's lots of commotion around) - the waiting area is quite close to the desks where the employees gather.  They were jovial with naturally accompanying volume so it was impossible to be unaware of their conversations.  I caught this snippet:

"...which..."

"I was sure you said witch and I wanted to tell you my wife is at home!"

How discouraged I was to hear that.  And so grateful that those in my circle don't talk like this about those they love.  I believe that conversations like this are a subtle poison that infect our personality, our relationships and our spirits.  How much better to express one's love and concern for those we share our lives with.  Even though they might not be around to hear those hurtful words, those words taint the image.  And those who are subjected to this kind of "humor" have a hard time forgetting they heard it.

There is so much in the world around us that damages us in various ways that I find it hard to condone deliberately causing pain. And I do believe that we will be held accountable for the times and ways we wound another - even indirectly.

I am sad that there wasn't a way to intervene.

1 comment:

  1. I want to join your bandwagon! Could you start a campaign to tell the world! It seems that wehave become a mean society and no one seems to care!

    ReplyDelete