Stealing

I'm still befuddled by a conversation I had with a friend the other night.  We were talking about fresh fruit.  She mentioned that she's so over the thought that trying out a grape or two in the grocery is stealing.  She has to see if it's good, doesn't she?  And if the fruit that she buys isn't good,  isn't the grocery store stealing from her?  And after all, if she asks if an orange is good, most likely an employee will whip out a knife and cut one for her, so sampling the grapes is just fine.  And if they want to charge her a little more for the ones she ate, she's happy to pay.  (But of course, she would never volunteer that stolen grapes are souring in her stomach!)

I have trouble with this on so many levels.  I avowed that I would never taste produce to see if it was good before purchasing.  This bothered her.  And very briefly, she hammered into me her opinion that it isn't stealing.  I quickly discovered it did no good to stand up for my opinion.  I let it go - I so really hate confrontation.  (Particularly when it is clear from the start that there's no winning.)

Still, though, I'm bothered by this.  And I know it isn't my place to convince her her behavior is wrong.  Nor will I try.  I guess the best I can do is to continue my own course toward personal imperfection the best I can.

But....I just got home from the grocery and I found myself surreptitously keeping an eye on the other shoppers to see if they're stealing lunch from the produce section.

No comments:

Post a Comment