Bike Ride

Went for a ride on the trail this morning.  Following trail etiquette, I called out a warning to the guy walking down the very center of the trail (a summertime regular), "On your left".  No response.  And he's still walking down the very center.
So I call out again, "On your left."
He barks:  "I heard you the first time."
I said, "sorry, I didn't know you heard me."
His yelled comeback,"Well, I haven't been run over yet and I don't expect you're gonna be the first to do it."

I'm thinking:  a hand waved in response would have been adequate (and no, didn't see any cast so it wasn't broken) a verbal achnowledgement, a move toward the side of the trail to give me room to pass...anything to indicate he'd heard my courtesy warning. Nada. Nothing. Zilch.  And then crabbiness.

The sun was shining, the meadowlarks were singing good morning, the breeze was nearly calm.  A perfect morning for feeling - at least content.

Wished I could have said something to lift his apparently grumpy mood rather than "On your left."  Maybe next time I'll tell him, "on your right."   

No comments:

Post a Comment