Warning: Rant Ahead!

But first:  I noticed some robins, standing under the gentle rain of a sprinkler, yanking their worm-breakfast from the ground.  And...it's baby quail season!  Watching a dozen or more of those cute little puffballs with legs trundle along after Mom and Dad can't help but bring a smile to your face.  "And I think to myself -  what a wonderful world."

Now on to the rant:  I was raised in a house where 'damn' and 'hell' were heard as often as 'the' and 'and'.  My Mom really let her rebellious part show when it came to her language.  So, I don't consider myself a prude when it comes to language.

I am, however, becoming increasingly sensitive to the ubiquitous use of the 'F' word.  In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing redeeming about using this word.  It doesn't uplift.  It is crass, crude, unpleasant, demeaning and disgusting.  And that's just the word.  Think then, by extension, what it reflects on the user. (Besides the fact that they are too lazy to find a better, more appropriate word, and enlarge their vocabulary.)

I watched a 10 minute video recorded by cellphone of some kids on a bus, taunting and verbally abusing a sweet older-lady bus monitor.  The 'F' word was spoken almost more than any other, and with a great deal of viciousness.  And, yes, this was on a school bus.  I'm guessing those kids are jr. high age, although I don't actually know.  Still, how awful. And how ugly. (And just to be clear:  I'm equally appalled and outraged at the general behavior of these children.)

The arts are wonderful things that enrich our lives; visual arts, music and language.  Language is a huge gift from our Heavenly Father.  Who among us hasn't had their heart warmed by these words: I love you? When we lower our standards, those things that help to keep our culture civilized are eroded. And erosion seems to be rampant when it comes to language.  (I won't even get started on the awful language that has become so prevalent on tv - cable channels!)

Those younger people who use this kind of language with such casual ease are the future. Will anyone even be able to communicate effectively if that's the main word they use? I, personally, am standing with both feet firmly planted as one who will defend my right to not have to hear this language, and one who will fight against the degradation of our society by those who use it.  Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment