Grandma

I was born on my Grandmother's 60th birthday.  And I've spent most of my life being told by Mom that I'm very much like her.

Some similarities:
• We're both on the short side, Grandma shorter than I am.
• We both have hands that are useful, not pretty to look at. (Or so I'm told.)
• We both love to sew, although she was a much superior seamstress.
• We both love music, and both sing alto, although again, she had such a lovely voice.  I remember how I loved to hear her sing.

Some differences:
• Grandma never owned a pair of pants, at least as far as I know.  She always wore dresses. I, on the other hand, own jeans, slacks and capris as well as dresses.
• I never saw Grandma in anything but those black clunky shoes, laced up the top.  I love all the varied shoes I have and enjoy picking out just the right pair for my mood.
• I never knew her to drive anywhere.  I'd be lost in this suburban area without my car!
• I can't remember ever seeing Grandma do anything fun-physical.  I've been known to jump on the tramp with the grandchilluns, love to ride my bike in the morning, love the wild rides at amusement parks, love ziplines and lots of "dare-devily" types of things.

Some of the differences derive from the times we live in - so disparate.

I'm not sure why I've been thinking so much about my Grandma lately.  I've been wondering if the grandchilluns will remember me when I'm long gone.  If there will be any happy memories.  (My most vivid one of Grandma was being "lectured" to be quiet when I woke the entire house on my way out to the outhouse early one a.m. and stepped on a small garden snake (snakes were all the same to this city girl: bad.) with the resulting squeal of terror.)

Grandma passed away on the morning of her 88th birthday.  She was a good woman who lived a good life.  I'm grateful to share not only a birthday with her, but hopefully other worthy traits.  I still have a lot to learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment