And So It Begins....

Driving past the city park this morning I noticed the workers putting the Christmas lights on the trees.  The city really does a great job of sprucing up the park in holiday finery - spreading the Christmas cheer.

Reminded me (like I could forget) that I'll need to be doing some Christmas thinking, deciding, purchasing, wrapping and gifting.

It gets harder and harder for me every year. When it comes right down to it, I would find the season so much easier to bear if someone would just tell me what the right gift is for everyone.  Getting out and doing the purchasing, wrapping and gifting is really the easiest part.  The deciding is the hardest part. It seems like everyone is already so materially blessed that most of the items I give just seem to get lost in the abundance. I try to find something useful and meaningful while at the same time deliberately trying to keep the real reason for this celebration upper most in my mind and behavior.

And like I said, it gets harder and harder every year.  (And it's almost like that dinner thing every day.  I'm happy to do the shopping, preparing and cleaning up.  Would someone just please tell me what to fix?) After 42+ years of it, I think the brain is just plain dead.  I am fresh out of ideas.  (In addition to which, I really dislike spending money!)

And while I would never want to skip the celebration of our Savior's birth, I'm starting to wonder if I could just skip the gifting-thing. I know it would never fly and I'm not really serious....still, I can imagine, can't I?

Now, to dust off the decorations, and where did we store the tree?


No comments:

Post a Comment