Road Trip!!

The Husband needed to go in to the office in CA - or as he affectionately terms it:  visit the Mother Ship.  Since circumstances required that he drive, I invited myself along.  Since usually when he travels for work he travels alone, and usually when we travel together it is vacation, this trip felt like a vacation, even though he was working.  And what fun we had!

Our home-away-from-home was not only a comfortable place, it was in a fairly central location for getting around (although that getting around thing proved to be nerve-wracking-frustrating for this driver unfamiliar with the surroundings).  I dislike all the traffic there in Silicon Valley.

I had forgotten how truly beautiful it can be there. We had serious rain every single morning but usually by noon or so it was beautiful.  These trees smelled heavenly after the rain.  And the eucalyptus scent is like none other.

I should have titled this "Great Food Trip" as it seemed I was endlessly moaning in pleasure over the yummy food.  I was introduced to Mongolian BBQ and loved it.  Breakfast at the Mother Ship the first morning was steel cut oatmeal cooked with bananas and poached pears.

Wherever The Husband goes he always finds the very nicest people. We had dinner one night with a couple guys from one of his former places of employment (he keeps in touch with them) and we ate at the Fish Market.  It was a delightful evening with a couple wonderful guys who made me feel important.  (A feeling I never take lightly.) I highly recommend the skewered scallops and shrimp.  Amici's has the very best panzanella salad, and pizza that we split and nearly fought over because it was so good.

One day a friend drove me over to Half Moon Bay, this was the view from our outdoor table at Sam's Chowder house where she and I both had - what else - New England Clam Chowder!  And we detoured through the town to find the bakery that sold us wonderful cinnamon crisps (like the "elephant ears" we used to (rarely) get as a kid) and the most fabulous coconut macaroon I have ever eaten!

We treated ourselves to Jamba Juice - I thoroughly enjoyed my Pumpkin Smash, The Husband preferred his seasonal Eggnog flavor.  In Reno we all licked soft serve cones at Scheel's and had multiple samples of their fab fudge.

And The Daughter and Granddaughter taught me to make these pretzel stacks, a take on the chocolate dipped pretzels so popular during the holidays. (Spread the pretzels around the cookie sheet, top with chocolate kisses, or rolos or whatever you like, soften in a 200 degree oven, then press the top pretzel down, cool (or not, they're good warm) and if desired, drizzle melted chocolate over the top.  Enjoy!)

I loved the Mongolian BBQ so much we visited it again later in the week.  And found another to patronize with our kids in Reno.  I'm now a confirmed supporter.  We ate with some friends at Jeffrey's Hamburgers in Palo Alto and our chocolate shake was served soda fountain style in tall glasses with whipped cream and a cherry.  Another fun evening - I'm still surprised when this self-confessed-anti-social-person actually enjoys sociality. I continued to have the steel cut oatmeal at the Mother Ship - one day it was with bananas and raspberries.

We did other things besides eat, although there are times I disagree with the quote I read when I spent some wonderful time at the Sunnyvale City Library.  Coral Arvon said, "Remember, eating is not a hobby."  (That's probably why I look like I do - extra fluffy!)

The area seems to require seemingly endless driving to get anywhere.  It wasn't my favorite part of the trip, especially after having spent two days driving to get there, and having two driving days to get home.  At least on the freeway there aren't all those stop lights.  Notice I didn't say traffic lights - for a reason.  Do they really direct traffic? It felt like all they did was make us stop the car.

I enjoyed the drive over to Half Moon Bay so much over the 84 that I convinced The Husband to do it again the next day.  I'll never tire of that view.

We spent some time at the GoKart Track.  My license proves I was there, although I opted to not take a picture of my driving times.  It was super fun, and exhausting!  We drove two tracks, and I managed to keep my claustrophobia (from the helmet and neck roll protection - I have no neck so it was hard) in check and let loose some laughter as I kept my right foot heavy on the gas and my left almost completely off the brake and careened around. The Husband very kindly let me win, although neither one of us broke any speed records.  We just aren't aggressive enough, and perhaps were too happy (not mad enough) to go super fast.  I discovered my arms aren't as strong as I thought.  It took an enormous effort to turn the steering wheel and I was sore for a couple days.  Still -  its a fun diversion!

At the Mother Ship again, we saw the self-driving car - there were actually two, and don't mind my finger in the corner of the picture.  I surprise myself with my constant snapping of photos with my phone.  Don't have any skill, just like to capture a memory when I can. (But, please, can the phone camera have a zoom lens?)

Driving home I stuck the phone out the window and snapped this shot of the windmills - always a favorite part of that drive.  I wish I had been able to get more of the windmills in the shot - there are so many lining both sides of the road.  I've often wished to be able to get out of the car and listen to see how loud they are.

I'll spare any readers further pictures - I took one of the Yum Yum donuts we bought to take to the kids in Nevada, and some of the Mother Ship Campus (it's so lovely) and one of the Reno Temple and some of the family.

We arrived home last night after a drive nearly straight through from Nevada - 8 hours of driving punctuated by only two restroom stops and one gas refill - to hugs from The Son and The Daughter.

This morning I've managed to get through 3 of the ten loads of laundry, visit the doctor (what fun to drive on familiar streets. Diagnosis:  compression of the ulnar nerve.  Treatment - Aleve and time.  Prognosis - most likely a full recovery without difficulty.  Yay for a common and probably easily treated ailment.) return books to the library and savor being home.

I'll have to stifle the pressure I'm feeling with 12" of mail to go through, bills to pay, 10 loads of laundry to launder, recorded TV to view and the general catch-up required after being gone for 9 days.

But....I'm home!  And there's no better place to stifle pressure than that!  (Thanks, My Love, for taking me along.  I never tire of being with you!)












No comments:

Post a Comment