Most Secure

From a novel I just finished:  "...I heard the words of Meister Eckhart:  Do exactly what you would do if you felt most secure. But what would that mean, what would that be?  What would I do, if I were my best self right now?" This has given me much thought over the last few days.

I was blessed with an obedient spirit.  That's a fact. Generally I'm pretty much ok with it and often have been grateful.  I haven't been one of those who just has to "push the boundaries" or learn things the hard way.  It has made for an easier life in many aspects.

Being thus endowed does not mean, however, that I haven't had to learn things along the way.  One of the things I'm still learning is to be my best self.  Feeling secure in the love of Heavenly Father, knowing He will always care for me (often in spite of myself) is a matter of personal struggle.  I often wonder if I haven't failed Him somehow, not having lots of accomplishments in this world, not being highly educated, or having been a great teacher or orator or a wealthy philanthropist, or even good with small children.

Lovely Spring Snowstorm.
The world needs those people.  I just don't happen to be one of them. What then do I have to show for myself?  There have been small displays of my best self - fleeting and few in occurrences.  The one thing I have done (being my best self) is to try to have a good heart, to be kind when no one is looking, to have my behavior reflect my ultimate goal - to be accepted back into Heavenly Father's arms.

I'm still a work in progress.  Most likely to remain so the rest of my earthly days.  I hope to remember the words of Meister Eckhart and let them guide my actions.  The results could be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment