Thinking, Again and Always

I've always got a few thoughts swirling around in my noggin.  The Husband sat in my chair and mentioned something, and my response was I'm not fond of fake things.  Nails, hair color, bosoms, diamonds, chocolate, friends, emotions...I'm more of an enjoyer of natural things.  (This is not intended in any way as a criticism of those things that other people enjoy or of other people.  I'm just stating my own innate tendencies.)

I've been thinking about this a lot since attending a play at Hale Theatre the other night.  Saw some people we know there.  The Husband was able to ask them a couple days later how they liked the play.  All four of them hated it.  Yes, the play was dated in dialogue and setting.  But the basic message was one of concern for another/friendship.  I've wondered why these four people disliked it so much.

Then the other night we went to dinner with some friends who are 13/14 years older than we are.  Such lovely people.  People who have associated with some other very prominent people.  And who have money. Yet, they are unfailingly kind and gracious to us.  Friends.

Mother's Day Greetings.
I like that there are those out there willing to put their hearts on the line, so to speak, and befriend those who might not be exactly in their own social strata.  We all can use reminders to be kind to everyone not just those who can help us climb the social ladder.  Not just those we think won't be an embarrassment.  Not just those who are kind to us.

Every single one of us needs a friend, a kind word, someone's time.  And conversely it is good for our souls to be the one who reaches out to others regardless of their station in life.  Regardless of how they treat us.  Rudeness should never be the goal, although it is often the product.

I have failed at this more times than I like to remember.  And yet, I struggle on.  And will continue to do so.

Today's gratitude:  for those reminders that prick my conscience.  I need them.

My neighbor brought over this cute little cake filled pot of cookie (butterfly) flowers.  She spread them amongst the neighbors, wishing all the women happy mother's day.  She is an example of kindness and goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment