Hard Lessons

Our crimson maples are finally changing color.
Life is full of hard lessons.  I was long an adult before I really understood that not everyone thinks the same.  I always functioned under the assumption that most people were highly principled/ with high morals / goal oriented people.  Not so.  And what a disillusioning discovery.

Because we are all so different there are disappointments.  People lie and cheat.  Don't care about anything but themselves.  Don't reach out to you unless they need something from you.  Are lazy. Judge you.

That is such a small list.  I could go on and on.

But...to what purpose?

The important thing is to realize that everyone makes their own choices.  Parents can do their very best and still the child might choose another path.  Friends can try to support/help another and be rejected. Efforts to help/please are often ignored.

Still, though, Heavenly Father loves us all.  Every single one of us. The ones who live their lives in accordance with His teachings and the ones who skate the edge of decency - or even go beyond.

My task is to do my best.  Not to change or force another. It requires a measure of humility, self-control and patience.  All qualities that fluctuate in me at any given time.

We are each a work in progress.  Let's hope I actually do progress.

Today's small tender mercy:  Rain that waited to fall until I returned from my much-needed morning 5-mile walk.  I realize it really has nothing to do with me.  I still choose to be grateful for the timing.

1 comment: