Christmas Is Coming

Stopped in at a store this morning.  The lady working there asked me if I wasn't just super excited for Christmas, after all, it's only a couple weeks away.  How I wish I still had her youthful excitement and wonder for the season.  She could hardly contain her squeals of anticipation.
My lilac encased in ice.  

Saturday found us purchasing another small space heater to keep the cold at bay from the pipes in the outside walls.  The temperatures have been so very cold.  And while I hate to spend the money heating those walls, it truly is much cheaper (financially and mentally) than repairing frozen/broken pipes.

Whilst we were out, The Husband insisted (since he was driving - thus he had the power) on helping me with other items on my errand list.  I was saving them for today while he is in CA.  What a de-stressor that has been, to have those things taken care of.  And after this morning's excursion, the list is small. Manageable.

We are spending more for Christmas this year.  And seemingly getting less for our money.  The grandchildren are growing as do the cost of what we'd like to gift them.  And still our budget allowances are less than our desires.  I guess that is the cost of maturity - knowing the difference between desires/wants and needs/abilities. We decided early on in our marriage we would never go into debt for Christmas or birthdays.  And while we have smaller Christmases than lots of families, we have happier hearts.  After all, those gifts are all really luxuries anyway.  Just small tokens of our love for another.

So, I pushed the limits.  I got my jammies on before 6 p.m.  Only by about 5 minutes.  And it was already pitch dark outside.  No one is here to know but me (and those persons in Blogdom who stumble across my meager efforts here).  And it surely feels good.

Saturday's snowstorm brought an opportunity to try out the Prius in the snow.  Even this morning as I traversed an unplowed parking lot my sweet little car just plowed along like it was a sunny summer day (of course, I am a cautious driver). How grateful I am for reliable transportation.

Gift cards to Corner Bakery provided today's lunch. I so enjoy food gift cards.  Somehow the meals taste better when received as a gift.

Today's gratitude:  for Christmas funds that manage to stretch far enough.  For good health.  For my piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment