Weekend

Walked into the theater yesterday for our weekly movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit:  very tense but I liked it!) and saw our neighbors from across the street.  We should have coordinated our seats as well (so love that our theater has assigned seats, we can buy our tickets on line from our home and choose just the seats we want!).

Yesterday was a fairly fuss-free-schedule-free-just-go-along-with-the-flow kind of day - the kind of day The Husband would choose over any other.  He's getting his office in shape:  the new computer arranged just so on his desk, the extraneous stuff sorted through (my pile for D.I. is looming larger all the time) and enjoying his leaner/cleaner office space.

Church today was (for me) just the best!  I came away from Sacrament Meeting feeling like my spiritual reservoir had been replenished.  A barely returned missionary spoke with heartfelt gratitude for his mission and the blessings that resulted.  He was articulate and organized in his remarks though I didn't see a single page of notes. His parents must be so pleased for/with him.  The High Council rep also was uplifting in his remarks: his personal revelation of the unexpected passing just this week of his 4 month old granddaughter was sobering - thought provoking - and I reflected on just how the Atonement of our Savior covers all of our pain and sorrow.

Unexpected gift.
I played for the sweet sister who sang in the meeting:  I Stand All Amazed, one of my very favorite songs.  I love the sweet melody and the contemplative words that also bring to mind the Atonement. The arrangement she sang was so very melodic and her lovely voice, and evident connection to the song, made the meeting complete.  What a pleasure it is to be invited to play for someone.  I love that the attention is on the vocalist - and by extension our Father in Heaven - as our thoughts are lifted up.

What a surprise it was for her to give me a "thank you" for playing for her.  It really was my delight to do so, I love the impetus to practice, the involvement of both my mind and body in music that warms my heart.

Also surprised to find an article about The Husband (regarding the proposed charge from our local power company for net-metering customers) online for the local newspaper and a TV channel.  The reporter said he "thought" there might be an article in a couple weeks.  The online newspaper had 6 accompanying pictures.  It wasn't quite as sympathetic to the net-metering customers as we might have liked, and as usual, some of the details weren't quite right.  However, I do believe in standing up for what is right and don't mind that The Husband is willing to fight this particular cause.

Had a brief discussion with another that we never know what trials someone is having, what weighs down a pain-filled heart.  It is easy to feel alone and abandoned in our troubles.  We don't wish pain on anyone.  But the fact is: none of us, not one, escapes this life pain free.  It is an essential, though difficult, part of this life.  How stunning is the breadth of the Atonement.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment