Finding Magic / Kindness / Angels

Life is nothing if not strange at times.  And unpredictable.

I mentioned to The Husband the other day that it seems like I've gotten too old for the "magic" of Christmas.  And yes, there was a time in my life when Christmas was magic.  In the innocence of my youth there was magic.

Years and experience changed that.  Pretty soon it became challenging.  All that gifting thing - the thinking, deciding, purchasing, wrapping, giving and then agonizing when it somehow didn't feel "enough".  (I often wish I had a better knack for giving the right gift, that knack isn't mine.)

Had a couple experiences lately that have brought a different kind of magic to the season.

Had to make an appointment with my dentist.  Figured he'd take a look, assess the situation, make a recommendation and follow up with an appointment for the work.  There was a mix-up in appointment times.  I arrived a day early.  Still - he made time for me.  Come back tomorrow and we'll replace that old filling and see if that won't fix things he said.  I arrived early the next day.  I was numbed, fixed and on my way even before the scheduled appointment time.  And what did he say?  Sorry we couldn't fix that yesterday when you were here.  I was stunned.  Here he was helping me out at some personal inconvenience and apologizing that it couldn't have been easier for me.

In the back of my mind I was pleading for the angels to take note.

Packed into the same day was another experience.  A neighbor was here for a minute.  Our daughter got into the car, turned the key and click..click..click.  We all know that dreaded dead battery sound. Without even pausing for breath, this neighbor said let me back up, my car's already running and we'll give her a jumpstart. The whole endeavor took less than 5 minutes; the car was running and our daughter had at least a hope of getting back to work before her lunch break was over.  Easy thing for the neighbor to help with?  Sure.  But really, how often do people just walk away from something like that?  And she could have, but chose not to.

We try to be kind here in our family.  We don't always succeed.  (I often feel (and act) as prickly as this honeylocust tree.  And I know we're all in different places in our lives.  I still, though, am always a bit stopped-in-my-tracks when I'm the recipient of kindness from others.  Particularly when it comes in the form of a "tender mercy".  Those times often have the most impact on my heart.

I'm grateful for tender mercies, for people who as a matter of course help others, for the angels that masquerade as ordinary people in our lives.  I want to be one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment