All Over The Place

My mind seems to be going a million directions at once.  I'll try to make sense, though that's doubtful.

The Husband arrived home safely Friday evening, and that was the best sleep I had all week long.  I missed him.

I've been thinking about a couple oddities that occurred over the last few days.

Yesterday at church I was washing my hands before exiting the restroom, congratulating myself on my good fortune to have beat the rush, when I focused in on the conversation around me.  Apparently 2 of the 5 lavatories were unusable.  (I must have luckily chosen one of the working ones.)  The one was maybe an inch below over-flowing.  (This particular toilet has been problematic since the building was finished in 2001.)  The other just needed a flush and a watch to make sure the flush was successful.

This one works.
A sister (mother of four including a couple teenagers)  in our ward had peeked into both of those (only ones "available") un-usable stalls and was complaining.  She emphatically wished someone would come flush that one because she "just can't.  I need to use it but I can't flush it, I just can't!! I can't!"

By the time I'd finished flushing it for her, another stall was available and she no longer needed it.

I was privately grumpy (yes, I admit it, I was annoyed and judgmental when I shouldn't have been) and mulled over her attitude all day long.  Until...I gave myself a stern talking-to.

Service can encompass all kinds of things.  I should have considered that it didn't matter her attitude, when I watch out for someone else (sometimes even just being considerate), I'm serving Heavenly Father, maybe indirectly, but still I am serving Him.  Which is what I believe He likes us to do.

I was ashamed of my unspoken thoughts.  Yes, I realize it isn't a big deal.  Still, I was wrong.  I've got to do better. Standing up for what's right, choosing the correct path doesn't have to include condemnation of others, unspoken or verbalized.

And today I'm so grateful that I attended Relief Society yesterday.  It is often a difficult place where I rarely (all right, pretty much never) fit in.  My sweet (newly sustained teacher) friend is on her 4th go-round as a teacher.  With good reason.  One of her many gifts is that of teacher.  She has a wonderful manner that reaches each and every single person in the room and touches their hearts. Yesterday was no exception.  I hope to remember the wise words she spoke.

I love these words from Willa Cather (Death Comes For The Archbishop):  "Where there is great love there are always miracles."  I hope to recognize always the great love our Father in Heaven has for us through the miracles he showers down on each of His children.  And be found knowing great love for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment