Out-Of-The-Ordinary Tuesday

I was up early to see The Husband off to the office in CA for the week.  I was lonesome for him before he even turned the corner as he drove off.

My new carrot friends.
My walk this morning included feeding the horses some carrots.  My carrot offering made friends of some other horses down a different street.  Wonder how long it'll be before they, too come running for their treat when they hear my voice?  This guy was practically pushing the fence over for more carrots - he was so sure I had more to give.

I spent the afternoon at Welfare Square for our ward's dairy assignment.  Since I never know how long it'll take to get downtown from here (traffic, construction, accidents) I picked up the other two sisters and left plenty early. Arrived half an hour ahead of schedule.  Then the dairy people were running on Mormon Standard Time (minimum of 10 minutes late for everything) so I felt like I'd wasted some valuable time.  My job today was checking the seal on the bags of nonfat dry milk:  they had us slap the bags really hard several times to see if any milk leaked out.  The result was that I was enveloped in a big puffy cloud of milk on more than one occasion, coming home covered in a film of white.

At the end of our shift we left the area just in time to be stopped by a train that had to have been several miles long.  After nearly 15 minutes, we turned around and headed down another street, arriving at that intersection just in time for the RR X'ing arms to come down, blocking our path yet again.  Patience completely depleted, I gave in and headed home on a major surface street.  My suggestion:  they need to end the shifts at Welfare Square earlier than 5 p.m. so we don't hit rush hour traffic.

Growing baby robins
By 6:45 I was in my jammies (I know it isn't yet dark, but I was done with my clothes), my exposed skin thoroughly de-milked, slurping my smoothie in the recliner. Hauling my step-stool outside to the maple I climbed up to see how the baby robins are doing.  They are almost too big for the nest!  I'm so glad we didn't miss them this year.

I succumbed. 
I've been thinking all day of gentleness.  (Must have been all that pounding on the bags of milk.) We have several new R. S. teachers.  Recently attended a lesson taught by one of them, which I approached with some trepidation.  This sister has taught R. S. before and I'm always a bit uncomfortable in her lessons.  She's a lovely woman, and prepares with thorough diligence.  But she comes across as quite blustering.  She's loud and emphatic and nearly overly self-confident.  (Gentility isn't her nature and that's just fine, that's just the way she is.)  And I notice that.  It's difficult for me (must have been all that yelling through my childhood).  Now, I know I'm in the minority and this is my - and only my - opinion:  but I prefer lessons that are delivered in a softer manner.  With less thunder and lightning and more soft sunshine and light breezes.  Perhaps I'll get used to it.  But I think I'll likely always prefer a softer approach.

I'm grateful for The Husband's willingness to work so hard to provide for us.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve in small ways - even the small tasks at Welfare Square.  I'm grateful for reliable transportation to get me where I need to go.  For a comfortable home to return to.  For fresh apples. And texts from those I love.  And for welcome smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment