Sunday Lessons

I can't stop thinking about the lessons we had on Sunday.  Sunday School's lesson was about judging. And then in Relief Society it was on pride.  Talk about a double whammy!  I was completely squirming.

The Husband and I have a long-running discussion.  He thinks pride is at the root of a lot of problems and comes before selfishness.  I've long maintained that pride comes because of selfishness.  And really, probably he is right.  Pres. Benson seems to agree with The Husband when he describes selfishness as "one of the more common faces of pride".

What matters is that we don't let either trait dominate (contaminate?) our behavior as we travel this life seeking to follow Christ.

Which is why I was squirming on Sunday.  I haven't always been absent of either pride or judging. And I'd venture to guess that most everyone has been guilty at some time or other of the (again referring to President Ezra Taft Benson) "bottom up" pride:  faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, envying, coveting, living beyond our means, withholding gratitude and praise and being unforgiving and jealous. That's pretty much part and parcel of life. Until we learn.

Someone dear to me has been a great example.  I've never seen anyone so quick to apologize - regardless of who is "right" (i.e. it doesn't matter who is "right").  Instant sincere contrition is obvious.  It is clear he has learned that a lot of what causes a situation that could involve an apology doesn't matter.  That it has all already been compensated for by the Atonement. So he promptly turns it over completely to the Lord, discards any of his own ego-involvement and moves forward. A distinct lack of pride.

Sometimes I think I go back two steps for every small bit of forward (upward?) progression I make.  I have a lot of work to do still.  Hopefully I'll manage to conquer some of those faults that so plague me.

Again today (and seemingly always) I'm grateful for hope.  Hope in the future, hope in the good of life, hope that I can be/do some good in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment