Interesting Times

I really think we live in interesting times.  Things are rarely dull.  I might be restless, not want to do what is needing done, but I'm never, ever bored.

• We received our first Christmas card of the season yesterday.  I opened it with a sense of guilt.  I love Christmas cards and diligently sent them year after year to those that are important to us.  Last year I think I sent maybe one or two.  It's getting more and more difficult to find religious themed cards and I refuse to send cutesy ones that are absent any reference to the reason for this celebration.

Since I have gradually pared down my card sending over the last few years, we've received fewer and fewer.  I am mourning the demise of the Christmas card.

• Read this column in this morning's paper.  I really enjoyed it. I so love the focus on hope.  We need it.  All of us.  All of the time.

• Had a meeting on Sunday.  Our little section of the ward was split off and combined with a split-off section of a neighboring ward creating a new ward. We've often talked about how we are the "unwanted stepchild" part of the old ward.  We're kind of out of the way, just a spur off the main part.  I doubt the situation will be any different in the new ward - we're still kind of out of the way, a spur off the main part (and w-a-y outnumbered by the saints we're combining with from the other ward).

This Sunday we'll only have Sacrament meeting to hear (and ratify) the announcement of the new Bishopric.  I'm guessing they'll spend the next week staffing the organizations.  It's challenging to start a new ward from scratch.  I hope there'll be place for us - we're older than most of the people from the other ward.  Worst of all - our good friends are in our previous ward.  That makes me sad and unsettled.

And a thought-provoking complication:  our choir pianist left the ward.  I was filling in for the Christmas program.  I've spent hours at the piano learning and polishing the songs, some of them are a bit complicated.  Our new ward meets at the choir practice time and I'm not really in that ward any longer.  I have no idea what will happen.  I could be interesting.

• I'm grateful today for my piano, I spent some time yesterday just enjoying the lovely notes that wafted through the air around me.  Discovered an arrangement of a Christmas song that I don't remember ever playing before and it was fun to play something just for me - without expectations from others.

I'm also grateful for the gift of a kouign amann. It'll greatly enhance my lunch.  I'm grateful for my boot/shoe that still provides relief from pain in my foot (that feels like it will neverever disappear). I'm grateful for a doctor that is willing to work with The Husband to assist in his hearing/tinnitus issue.  He bears it without complaint though I know it is often distressing to him.  And I'm grateful for clean floors. And good things to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment