And Back To The Normal Routine

I've so loved the holidays.  The Husband took some time off work (some sick time- darn that cough/cold thing that's going around - and some vacation time) so we were basically together 24/7 the whole 10 days.  I loved it!

But I'm a creature of routine.  I tend to function better with some sort of schedule.  So it feels good to have the house back to it's usual state, have laundry and grocery days on more of a recognizable routine.  It makes it easier to deal with stuff that comes up, as it inevitably and delightfully does.

2.8 degrees = brrrr!
We did go for a walk to bring in the New Year.  Only walked about half an hour -it was so cold out. But the air felt fresh, we could see the stars and the area was full of fireworks.  I loved being out in it.

Over the holidays, we saw family, saw a movie or two, saw snow fall (and fall some more) saw friends for dinner and were grateful for all we saw.

Saturday we attended the baptism of our 8-year old neighbor.  The best part of that short hour was the way he made a beeline for us (and his former primary teachers sitting next to us) as soon as the closing prayer was said for congratulations and hugs.  His smile truly does light up the room.

I still don't have a church calling.  I've been the recipient of comments about "relieving me from the organ".  Indicating that since the minute the ward was formed playing the organ in church was automatically my calling.  It makes me sad that I appear incapable of doing anything else, that I can't contribute in any other way.  My soul yearns for some variety, a chance to grow a bit and learn something new.

And I've re-challenged myself to be more kind.  To take those things that so frustrate me (i.e. being directed by others what to do/how to be, being interrupted when speaking, assumptions about what I think/desire) and eliminate them from my own behavior.  I'm determined to be more tolerant.  To allow others the same agency that I so cherish, without judgement.  That's a tall order.  And it really does all come under the "kind umbrella".

If I profess to be a disciple of Christ, my behavior must reflect that direction.  I know I won't always be perfect at it.  But I can try.  And try.  And try again. And I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment