Thursday Already?

Wisteria down the street
Whatever happened to Tuesday and Wednesday?  I think I'm brain dead.

I've been for walks, worked on the Sunday School lesson, puttered around the house and just loved the spring.  The Husband picked up some tomato starts that we'll plant on Saturday, if the weather cooperates.

Today I went to lunch with some friends.  It's easy to get carried away talking - at least for me. And I don't feel like I'm talked out yet.

Our beautiful Hawthorne tree.
I'm still thinking about a time a few weeks ago.  We were at a restaurant.  One of the females came back from the restroom saying she saw so-and-so in there and really--they--eat out? When I questioned I was informed that they're "different", they home-school and don't do things the rest of us do, like they don't celebrate Halloween (and I'm guessing the children aren't as involved in extracurricular sports, etc).  They're members of our church but just not like the rest of us.

I sat there and listened and my heart hurt a little.  I finally said that it must be hard for them, their convictions must be really strong to live that way in our society.  And I wondered to myself if they have any friends at all at church?  Do people treat them with kindness and acceptance?  Somehow I think not so much. Clearly this was a bothersome exchange to me to still be mentally fussing over it weeks later.  I often find myself championing the "underdog", those who seem to march to a different drummer.

And yep, that's about right.
Last night we ran out for a quick burger dinner.  Sitting where I could see the order counter I watched as a man came in and waited to be recognized and attended.  He stood for a bit.  Pretty soon another guy, younger, came marching in, skirted the first man, strode directly to the counter and got immediate attention.  After a bit, the first man left, having been pretty much ignored.  And I'm guessing he won't be back to that eatery.  And I was totally upset with the second guy - who should have asked the first guy if he was in line, or needed help first or what.  Instead, all that mattered was himself.  I so dislike that kind of selfishness.  And the kind of selfishness that demands that we all do the same things.

I understand and am fully aware of what a flawed individual I am.  Does it count that I try really hard to be good through-and-through?  Does it count that I try to be unselfish?  Will it matter that I work on improving myself and being more aware of others' needs?  I can only hope that someday in the distant future judgement there will be a little more balance of Christlike behavior in me than otherwise.  Until then I shall keep trying and hopefully, keep noticing things that will prompt me to evaluate how I need to be.

I'm so grateful for fun friends to go to lunch with who let me blather on and on.  For the bestest ever hugs I get on returning home to My Love.  For birthdays to celebrate.  And for this beautiful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment