End Of An Era And A Bit Of A Discovery

Probably the last article on the fridge.  Sigh.
For as long as I can remember we've subscribed to the newspaper.  Everywhere we've lived.  I loved it when the newspaper came in the afternoon, I had something to read while preparing dinner.  Then it changed to morning delivery and I loved having the newspaper to read while I had breakfast.

And now it's almost over.  Tomorrow (or the next day) will be our last newspaper.  Maybe forever. We could no longer justify the expense for the diminishing content.  And I'm a teensy sad about it.

Consequently, I've been casting about for ways to assimilate the news.  It's important to keep up.  So, I've been trying to catch the news on tv whenever I can. And I've discovered something important about myself. I don't like broadcast news.  I've found that after about 5 minutes the constant yammer-yammer of the talking heads puts me on edge. It's not only just annoying to me, it's upsetting.

The thing about the newspaper (besides the quiet) is that I can just putter along with my reading and choose to ignore an article, maybe read a portion and then go on, or thoroughly dive in and devour every word.  With the broadcast news you have to pretty much listen to what they decide you need to hear.  And it's not really possible to pick and choose with any degree of satisfaction what to hear. (Must be that thing about control again - I like to choose / control for myself not be acted upon.)

I not fond of reading on my iPad.  But I might find myself doing just that during breakfast in the future. I'll miss the articles that constantly adorn the front of the refrigerator - the things I want to share, the ones I found thought-provoking or valuable.

The Husband is fond of repeating, "Change is certain, progress is not."  Only the future will reveal whether this change is progress.  Right now it just feels like a challenge.  I like the known / comfortable.  I wonder how long it'll take to feel that way again about my morning routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment