Wednesday Already?

It's been the strangest few days.  Sunday was a bit emotional.  A private little something I'd done for someone was "outed".  Now everyone in my Sunday School class knows.  I was embarrassed and touched, because the sister relating it was tearful, it apparently has been a valued little thing.  I felt privileged to do it, and would have been content had no one ever known.  Ah, well.  Later on that evening this couple stopped by to visit - what a delight it was.  The first real reaching out in friendship to us from anyone in that other part of the ward.  (This new ward was created from two wards.)

And just today, my visiting teaching partner said she doesn't like the new ward.  She misses being part of a ward that's in her neighborhood.  The people she's met in the new ward are fine, she just doesn't like the way it feels.  It left me a bit nonplussed, didn't have a clue how to respond.

I'm grateful for pretty flowers.
Yesterday I missed my morning walk so as to be ready for meeting our new doctor.  Since we had to change insurance plans this fiscal year (we are so grateful for employment that provides really good insurance) it meant finding a new doctor.  It was pretty much pick a plan, throw a dart at one of the doctors on the list and hope it all works out.  I'd love to have been able to stick with the doctor we had years ago that we so loved.  This new doctor is actually in the same office but our previous one has closed his practice.

The new doctor?  He'll be ok.  I'm confident enough in his ability to treat us.  His manner is typical of so many doctors these days - bordering on arrogant.  It's nice to know that we have someone to call and that we don't have to drive halfway to Connecticut.  Some kinds of change aren't my favorite.

This morning was meant to be visiting teaching.  One sister had to change her time, and it worked out ok.  But the other visit was hijacked into a bit of a service project.  I'm good with service - am generally happy to help and actually often volunteer to do so.  What didn't sit quite so well with me this time around:  I wasn't given a choice.  I just got a phone call that said we're taking the sister we visit teach and taking her with us to help another sister pack for her move.   It's uncomfortable for me when someone decides for me what I'm going to do, tells me what I'm going to do and then expects me to just turn cartwheels in my excitement to obey.  Snide?  Yes, I'm unabashedly snide at this point.  I fussed and fumed and stewed about it all evening.  Prayed constantly for help and guidance and charity.  Got the help and guidance and am still waiting for the advent of charity for this person. I'm probably going straight to hades for my attitude.  I'll be repenting. And doing my best to be better.

The guy came out for the bid for stucco repair.  Turns out to be 1/3 the amount of the first bid.  We signed on the spot.  Hopefully he'll start on Monday.   The outside water backflow inspection (required by law) will take place tomorrow.  And hopefully the concrete sealing will take place in the near (rather than distant) future. It feels so good to get things done (except when I have to spend actual money on it), but daunting at the same time.  No sooner do we knock something off the list than several things are added.

After having to think a few minutes I had no trouble coming up with some things to be grateful for.  I'm grateful for an unbelievably kind man who tolerates my rantings and still finds the wherewithal to hug me.  I'm grateful for kind sisters to visit teach who readily and happily agree to go do service.   I'm grateful for books to read that are delivered to my counter.  I'm grateful to be able to get back to my morning walk tomorrow. I'm grateful for emails from loved ones, for money to pay for house maintenance and people to do it for us.  And for something to look forward to:  the beach!  And also for repentance, prayer and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment