I'm Such A Dufus

Life sure has a way of being unexpected!

So, it was a fairly decent weekend.  Friday The Husband went to lunch with our son and a friend. Came home with some gelato from our son.  Total surprise.

Saturday afternoon I read a book while The Husband worked on getting the taxes ready to take to our tax preparer.  It's not nearly as enjoyable to go since our favorite person there had to retire.  Hopefully the news about our taxes won't be too awfully grim.

The book?  That's a whole 'nother story.  I was loving reading it.  While at the same time not enjoying the experience.  I so dislike the morals (or lack of) that are prevalent today:  living together before marriage, offensive language, sex in books for the sake of entertainment (seriously, I do not get that). If the author had left those things out of the book it would have been even more enjoyable, I like her writing style.  I'll be forewarned before I choose to read anything by this author again, if I even want to bother wading through stuff like that.  Maybe not worth it.

But the worst thing?  I got confused (I really do wonder if I'm getting Alzheimer's!) and when I had to stop by the library I had them checking the shelves and looking all over for this book that I had supposedly returned when all the time it was sitting at home beside my chair in the den.  What an embarrassment!

A couple nice things from Saturday:  out of the blue received a text from our other son just telling me that he loves me.  Total delightful surprise.  Warmed my heart.  Then Saturday night we were out with some friends, stopped at Leatherby's for an ice cream after dinner where we ran into their daughter and a couple of her friends.  I overheard the daughter tell her friends that we're her parents best friends.  Huge warmth for my heart.

And I needed those warm fuzzies to get me through Sunday.  Learned (through the grapevine, not official yet) that my organ duties in Sacrament meeting are going from once every 4 months to every other month.  Words fail to describe how sad/discouraged/upset I am about being pigeonholed even further at the organ, something I truly despise but have obediently done for roughly 50 years.  Yes, 50 years.  (Those being released have other callings that are more important so they're being released to focus on the more important stuff.)

To top things off, I subbed at the piano in Primary and totally messed up - a couple times.  Lost my place in the music when glancing up at the chorister and got a couple pages of music mixed up - first page had 2 sharps, second page had no sharps or flats.  Nope, didn't work at all.  No wonder I walked home from church having a pity-embarrassment-party for myself.

So I'm thinking.  What can I find to be grateful for today?  Well, I bought some more seed for the wild birds - I'm grateful they find sustenance and beautify our yard.  I'm grateful I found the "lost" book and won't have to pay for it (but not very grateful that I'm an embarrassment to myself).  I'm grateful for the luxury of staying home on a snow day like today, that I don't absolutely have to go anywhere.  And I'm grateful for having found a fantabulous brownie recipe - next time I want to eat a whole pan of brownies I'll whip up a batch, they really were yummy.  I'd like to be grateful that I'll never look like a fool again, but I'm fairly certain that's not going to happen.  :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment