What Is It About Monday?

Love these blooming crocus in the neighbor's yard.
What is it about a Monday that sometimes feels like a fresh start?  The week ahead has so many possibilities.  I wonder which ones will come true.

Our weekends used to have a sort of routine about them.  Not so any more.  I generally wake up on Saturday morning without a single idea of how the weekend will be shaped.  This last weekend was no exception.

The Husband had to speak in Sacrament meeting on Sunday, so part of Saturday morning and Saturday evening was spent preparing for his talk.  (BTW, he did wonderfully!)  We've bemoaned the lack of decent movies, but still decided to spend some cash on Kong, Skull Island (at least a matinee is cheaper, right?)  It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but still worse than I'd hoped.  Of course, The Husband liked it w-a-y more than I did. I have difficulties with those strange monster/creatures of sci-fi/fantasy ilk.  (Although the tongue ripping out did give me a sort of perverse satisfaction.)

Such a pink color for a car - hope she likes it.
Treated ourselves to dinner at Texas Roadhouse - I even ate a roll - and their oven baked chicken remains a favorite of mine.  Our soon-to-be-tradition-once-we've-firmly-established-it post-dinner walk was taken inside the mall, we hadn't been inside since the renovations and it looks really nice. I'm fond of the sock shop!

(On a side note - I've been reading the latest Shannon & Dean Hale young person's book: Squirrel Girl and have been delighted that there's another sock aficionado out there!  I love that she loves socks!)

Sunday was a bit of a crazy day.  The Husband had early meetings, then spoke (and did I mention he did wonderfully?) in Sacrament meeting, dropped a little birthday plant off at a friend's.  I was determined to try a new-to-me cookie recipe (pudding mix in the batter- this particular flavor was banana.).  It so intrigued me. And I told our daughter I was having to sit on my hands so as to not go all Cookie Monster on the baked results.  I loved them.  I think I ate a dozen without even stopping to breathe.  Then, of course, we had too many cookies, so we walked some over to a couple of the families that The Husband home teaches, shared some with our daughter and grandson.

Today's walk on the trail - just heavenly.
Also took a bag of them over to our friends where we were graciously invited in for a lovely chat, though we arrived uninvited. There was one lone cookie left that was my breakfast dessert. And now I'm looking forward to the next batch - am anxious to try a variation.

I'm counting down the weeks until my month (drafted though I was) at the organ in Sacrament meeting is over.  Sigh....

One of the best things about yesterday?  After the meetings I was holding up the wall watching for The Husband to come 'round the corner to go home and instead met the eyes of a fellow ward member.  When that happened his face lightened into a welcoming smile and he greeted me warmly. It was balm to my soul.

And after a night on the couch I wasn't ready to get up and head out for my walk, even though it wasn't quite as dark as I really expected considering that (nasty) Daylight Saving Time took effect yesterday.  But I somehow couldn't face the day without my morning sanity walk.  So I walked over to the library just after it opened - the library is always a good destination. Intended to come home with a book, possibly two if I stretched it.  Came home with five books instead. So hard sometimes to choose just one.

So today I have some gratitude in my heart. I'm grateful for the luxury of meals out.  For easily accessible trails to walk.  For good books to read. For friends that are welcoming. For cookies that turn out yummiful and people to share them with. And today it feels like spring.  Spring feels like renewal and hope.  And hope feeds my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment