Aging and Other Thoughts

Hawthorne in bloom.
Happy pine tree
I've been thinking a lot lately about age.  We saw a movie on Saturday evening with some friends.  I think the average age in the theater was about 20 or so. Later, after chatting with other people about the movie I decided that I am just too old to enjoy the silliness that is so rampant in the movies lately.

Then I was reading a series of articles about aging, the different ways people do it, the different ways they engage in the world around them and how it affects their life.  And I'm concerned.  My world has always been quite small.  We have a couple friends, a fair amount of church acquaintances and The Husband has his co-workers.  But I don't think the circle of people that I interact with is large enough to keep me from the road to senility.  And that's a tad bit frightening.

New clematis bloom
Trout gifted to us.
I'm sure the solution would be to volunteer somewhere (rather spend my time with The Husband and he's here at home) find a job (see previous parenthetical comment), join a book group (did that, done with it) or quilt group (did that, too, don't want to spend the $ on it) or some other group of some kind. And frankly the appeal just isn't there.  So, yes, I'll probably spend my last years on earth languishing in some sub-par (because of the expense) care facility having truly lost my mind. Sobering and discouraging prospect, isn't it?  I think I"ll be seriously pondering this.

And I read Ann Cannon's column this morning.  She's generally good for some chuckles. Culotte's and Other Self-Advice.   I particularly liked when she said, "Don't let anyone take you out of the game.  Most of all, don't take yourself out of the game."  So, maybe I should work toward doing my best to enjoy life as fully as I can and not fuss so much about the Alzheimer's /dementia.

Trout ready to eat.
Chickens waiting for breakfast.
In the meantime I'll try to find gratitude in each and every day, challenging though at times it might be.  I'm grateful we had a fun weekend - it was nice to help celebrate a grandson's birthday (though I did buy the wrong size clothes) and go out with our friends.  I'm grateful for the reduction in stress for The Husband since he was released on Sunday from the calling that has stretched him almost too far.  I'm grateful for the phone call we received last night asking for some help - how lovely it was that she thought of her home teacher in time of need and that we were in a position to be of a small assistance. As ever I'm grateful for the beauty of this world.  I'll include a few pictures - my walks have encompassed morning loveliness, (and drat, I missed the shot of the little brown fluffy white tailed rabbit.  I have to tell about the pictures:  our Hawthorne tree is pretty well covered with blooms and is so pretty.  The Norway pine has tons of soft new growth on the branch tips - I love it. The clematis was planted in the fall and has burst into pretty flowers that are easily a handspan across. Sunday we were offered some trout our friend had caught, they made for a yummy dinner (accompanied by roasted fresh asparagus and fresh fruit) and I couldn't resist the picture of the chickens.  They clearly know where that food comes from!) and the tranquility that helps to start my day the right way.  I'm grateful for prayer that gets me through the mentally tough times and for hope for a bright tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment