And Another Weekend Gone

- So we went to a movie on Saturday (actually on Friday night, too.  It wasn't a good weekend for movies - neither one was really enjoyable) called the Circle.  I came away pretty uncomfortable - it paints a pretty grim future.  And I didn't even get popcorn.

- And on Sunday, it was the day for the organ/piano duet I've been pretty immersed in over the last little bit - getting ready. I think it went well enough (for the first time that I ever remember, I don't think I made any mistakes).  It was fun to have something to practice for.  I think in some ways I'm pretty goal-oriented.

But the thing was, later on I was chatting with a fellow ward member and he mentioned that this song was one of his favorites.  He encouraged me to look it up online (the BYU Men's chorus sang it at the General Priesthood meeting of conference a few years ago - different words, same melody) and listen to it.  He mentioned that he plays it pretty much every day and it was the one thing that helped him make it through the last couple (really challenging) years of his life.  How lovely to hear that a song we played meant something to someone.

The song?  Be Still My Soul.  One of my very favorites, even with the original lyrics.

1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697; trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897
Real bananas inside

Yum!
- I decided that I wanted to bake some of those pudding mix cookies for my friends - and found this at the grocery.  How fun to find something made with real bananas.  And guess what?  They taste maarrvvellous! (At least to me!)

- And we were talking with our neighbor yesterday - he's in the bishopric.  We were talking about callings. I was so pleased to hear him say that as a Bishopric "we're just men".  I loved that he wasn't afraid to let us know that they (the Bishopric) don't consider themselves infallible.  I have run across that attitude a time or two, and I imagine I'm not the only one.  I'm grateful that they try to have compassion for the ward members.

Hummingbird enticing cling tulips on my window.
- And the big news of the day: a hummingbird has been spotted.  I have these tulips on the kitchen window over the sink - they're those vinyl cling thingies. Apparently the hummingbird thought the tulip was real.  As soon as The Husband heard this he was in the kitchen preparing the nectar to put in the feeder.  Hopefully the oriole's won't be far behind.

- I'm so grateful for music/lyrics that are powerful in our lives, that provide us with such peace and encouragement not only through struggles, but in good times as well. I'm grateful the angels had strings on my fingers yesterday, making sure I hit the right keys. I'm grateful for a husband that can fix pretty much anything (including my popcorn popper).  And for the return of the hummingbirds (can't wait to see one with my own eyes!).

No comments:

Post a Comment