A Whole Week


That's how long it's been since I was here last.  It was a tad challenging last week with The Husband being gone so long.  It was way fun, though, to greet him at the airport and enjoy a late night ice cream together.  Together truly is (for me) the best place to be.

It feels like I should have some interesting things to say - but I think I've run out of them.

I did come home last week to a yard full of dead tree trimmings.  Our next door neighbor had a dead tree removed, the removers left all the limbs, needles and dead parts strewn on the grass along our driveway.  (Our neighbors were apparently out of town and never saw it.) So we spent Saturday morning moving all that deadness into the street.  That was necessary for The Husband to be able to check the sprinklers. I had discovered at 2 a.m. that one of our sprinkler heads was actually broken right off - how long it had been that way we'll never know.  But that was good incentive to check the others and we needed a lawn clear of debris to manage that maintenance.  And yes, there are a couple other sprinkler heads that require fixing.

Spur of the moment we went to a movie - the latest Tom Cruise, The Mummy.  Worst movie ever. Though The Husband actually liked it, he said it was good decompression after a busy-tense week. I actually couldn't look at the screen during the rat moments - just can't stand those things.  But our post-movie meal at Texas Roadhouse was delightful.  (And I'm still of the opinion that any meal I don't have to cook/fix is delightful!)

She was a beauty.
Compassionate service: sorta busy right now.  I know of several people who are not well.  A ward sister is having foot surgery today and another ward sister had a stroke last week.  I'll be heading off to visit her later on today. People are wonderful about helping when asked.  It's just not easy for me to be the one asking. What am I supposed to be learning here?

And this morning I actually dragged myself out of bed for my walk.  I don't usually morning walk on the weekends and Monday morning I just couldn't.  Yesterday morning it was raining so I was on the treadmill.  My reward for walking outside this morning?  A silent conversation with this deer - she was probably only about 15 or 20 feet from me.  I told her (in my head) how beautiful I thought she was, and how glad I was to see her. She looked at me intently for a bit before meandering off in the brush.

The Husband has a birthday this weekend, it always makes me wish I was more creative to show him how valued he is. A package was delivered for him (which he's saving to open on The Day), Sunday evening our son (and family) gave him his gift early (they'll be unavailable this weekend) and I know our daughter has been making something for him.  His birthday is always pretty close to Father's Day and I never want him to feel slighted that the two are so close together.  I'll be making the traditional german chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting (after all these years, I still fear I'll muck it up) and hope there'll be someone around to help me sing to him.

And even though I haven't been writing for a week - it doesn't mean I haven't been grateful.  I am so grateful to have The Husband home again!  I'm grateful he's one of those guys with the ability and desire to fix pretty much anything. I'm grateful for birthdays to celebrate. I'm grateful for Insta-care doctors who can help - even if it's a virus and antibiotics won't help.  I hope she recovers quickly. I'm grateful for a lessening (however brief it is) of the heat. I'm grateful for good books to read and for libraries that are close enough that I can stock up whenever I wish.  I do have a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment