Lots Of Random Thoughts

It's been a busy few days, and as usual, I end up feeling so behind when that happens.  Though in retrospect, I wouldn't necessarily want to change too many things.

The play we saw at Hale the other night was Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  And it was fabulous!  It's been quite some years since we last saw this production and I had forgotten how much I liked it.  I was determined this time to pay really close attention to the songs so I wouldn't miss so much of the story, and it helped.  I loved it.

We celebrated The Husband's birthday and Father's Day in the same weekend. I hope he enjoyed it.  I love that we both are striving to be more content (and succeeding to some extent) but it makes gifting more challenging.  I think he heard from all the kids and that was nice.  He works hard and generally puts himself last in life. He deserves to be celebrated.

I made a gift for a friend.  Took it in to be framed (I have to wait for the coupon otherwise the framing is prohibitively expensive, even with a coupon I cringe every time at the cost).  The framer and another customer waiting her turn to be helped were giving me warm fuzzies about the project. Then I was asked if the recipient of this gift will know how much time and effort it took.  I just kind of chuckled - no, she doesn't do anything at all like this.  They insisted that the gift was all the more valuable because there wouldn't be full awareness of the depth of care the giver (this time that would be me) imbued in the gift.  I've mulled that over in my mind a lot. And you know, if she even has a small inkling how important she is-- whether she even likes the project or not, I'm good with that.

I finally sat down and read my current issue of Real Simple.  I enjoyed this particular article. I like that she learned to reach out and make her own home, wherever it is. I've needed that specific lesson a time or two, and don't think I learned it near well enough.

Finding Home Wherever You Are

When I was recently called to be Compassionate Service Leader in our ward, I hesitated for quite some time before I said yes.  The reason I finally submitted was that I knew that no matter how long I thought about it, I'd probably still say yes because I'm obedient.  Last time I did this calling it was hard.  I'll just admit it, it was hard. (I try to be a fan/observer of the understatement but sometimes you just have to be blunt and clear.)  Funerals are the hardest - they take the most time and are among the most physically demanding, nevermind how often I return from one just wrung dry from my sympathy tears.

And so now:  I'm in the thick of it again.  My visiting teacher had a stroke a couple weeks ago, we continue to take meals to a friend/member on his cancer treatment days, my other visiting teacher (maybe it's me that's the problem?) just had surgery on both feet (she'll be completely off them for 3 weeks!), another sister is having some severe chronic health issues that have gotten worse (she's at this moment in the hospital) and I'm working on a funeral.  I told the Bishop that perhaps I should have warned them when they called me to this position that there's lots of funerals when I'm in it, maybe they'd like to re-think? I know I'll feel better about things when I find out for sure how many people we'll be feeding for the luncheon, it's already a bit better now that I know what day it'll be. Funerals are hard things for sure.

And gratitude?  I always have some.  I'm grateful that yesterday I saw a sweet friend who has been feeling less than optimal, I love seeing her smile.  I'm grateful for children (daughters definitely have tender hearts) who reach out to their Dad and let him know they care, who put their love into finding/making just the right thing for him.   I'm grateful to know that eventually summer colds that settle in throats and make people miserable will die out and voices will return to normal. I'm grateful to be able to read books that enrich, entertain, and enlighten my world.  (I love this quote from one I just read, "that charity, which covereth a multitude of sins, which thinketh no evil, and suffereth long and is kind, should dig the grave and help to bury all the malice and envy which at any time had intruded upon our peace and harmony, and in their stead establish truth and integrity, twin sisters of charity..." --Jane Harper Neyman)  I'm grateful for people who offer to help with funerals and meals. And for hope that things will turn out all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment