Weird Saturday, Meandering Thoughts

With all the virus sickness that's been going around, all of our days have seemed on the strange side, out of the usual ordinary.

The other night I noticed a couple things that warmed my heart.  We headed out for a quick bite to eat.  It was one of those places you order at one end of the counter, and by the time you get to the other end to pay, your meal is ready.  A new place for us and we quite liked it (though it seemed a teensy bit spendy).  We took our spot to place an order, and as often happens in a noisy place, The Husband turned to me and asked me to repeat what the cute order-taker asked him.  Which I did.  But then, for the rest of their conversation, she focused directly on him, enunciated her words (without being condescending in the least) and spoke in a volume that was directed at him so he could hear. So thoughtful, and probably unnoticed by lots of people.  But I detected a kind heart. 

Then later on, a largish group around a table where they were celebrating a birthday, finally broke up and headed out the door.  I noticed a few of them come back and clean up the table after themselves. Not often do I see that lately. Usually, it seems people just leave a mess all over the place, console themselves that they're tipping for clean-up (though they're generally parsimonious with their tips) and walk away without a second glance or thought.  It was nice to see someone taking care that they left things decent.

And it's been a bit of a tough few days.  After 2 1/2 days on the antibiotic I got the dreaded side-effect that soon became problematic.  Finally this morning I decided it needed some attention so I contacted the "on-call" dr. First thing -he sez - quit taking that medication.  Get some immodium and keep an eye on things.  I wasn't at all sad, I never felt quite right about that antibiotic.  It made me queasy as well as the other things going on. I wasn't able to take my calcium and had to carefully time the dosage. 

Kicked in fence, again!
The other thing bothering me:  I learned what happened when I took it on an empty stomach.  Left me physically a bit miserable. Which concerned me.  Tomorrow is Fast Sunday.  How on earth was I going to take this medicine, fast and still expect to play the organ in Sacrament meeting, the piano in R. S. and also help with the lesson in R. S. feeling as punk as this antibiotic made me feel?  One of my first thoughts when the dr. said to stop with the medicine was that I would now be able to fast without concern.  It had been troubling me that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of that privilege, I have a few things to fast for.
My latest owee.

Our neighbor's fence has been kicked in 4 times in the last 8 or 9 days.  So frustrating for them. They're away for the holiday weekend and have called us to help them out a couple times.  They keep apologizing, but if we'd found out we could have helped and weren't able to we'd have felt bad. I'm glad they call when they need.

Today I've managed to do a few things - vacuum (albeit very s-l-o-w-l-y) get some laundry done, make a grocery run and actually prepare a meal. (Lost some flesh off the end of my pinky finger yet again to that peeler - have to remove the bandage before I'll be able to play the organ!) I'm tired, but that's a good way to feel, perhaps I'll manage more than a couple hours of sleep tonight.

I'm grateful for feeling better.  For the go-ahead to quit the antibiotic.  For the ability to talk to the on-call doctor when he's out in the middle of a lake fishing.  For hope that I'll soon be more on the mend and this annoying cough will eventually disappear.  For a day when we didn't absolutely have to do a thing. I'm grateful to be able to fast tomorrow.  And for air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment