Change Is Certain

The Husband is fond of saying that phrase - (change is certain) along with the qualifier "progress is not".  I've always thought I did ok with change even when it was difficult, challenging and unexpected.  I'm thinking as I get older I'm not quite so ok with it.  Oh, I know things have to change, and I try to roll with changes.  But it seems like at this stage in life the changes all loom so large: when The Husband should retire.  Will we be able to ever afford to retire? When should we downsize our housing situation?  Would we even be able to sell our house (the next door house has been on the market since spring - no luck)?

And underlying it all is the sense of uncertainty that so unnerves me.  Concern about our country and the economy.  Concern even about the direction our city is headed - I have absolutely zero faith and confidence in our city's government.

And on top of that, pretty soon it'll be time to shop for Christmas!!  Yikes, I'm so not ready for the hullabaloo.  Is it too much to just ask for a little peace and calm?  Is it too much to ask for smooth sailing, for things to fall into place, for no fuss of any kind, for people to be happy and content (and by people, I mean those that I love)?  For those same people to be treated with respect and kindness and decency?

Sigh.

So, the other morning I headed out on the trail.  I missed getting a picture of the first sign that said the trail was closed. The second one was like an afterthought - no cones or caution tape.  And yet, in spite of the huge gaps in pavement, I was passed by numerous bikers.  They must have gone around the gaps.  I'm glad they were mindful of them.

Decided on the spot to take my blood pressure at the grocery this afternoon.  Was pleasantly surprised.  I have blood pressure anxiety.  Both The Husband and I have appointments next month for our annual physical (thank heavens we still have insurance that pays for those) - the first ones with the new doctor.  I am already anxious about it.  Don't want any lectures about my blood pressure (I know it'll be high, that's a given) nor lectures about my refusal to take fosamax for my osteoporosis or about my higher-than-is-liked-though-not-that-bad cholesterol - nor really any lectures at all.  I just want him to look at the results of the blood tests, say I'm doing well for my age (considering) and send me on my way for another year.

I'm glad my blood pressure was in the normal range.  I'm saving that little slip of paper to show the doctor!

The Husband and I both need a bit of a getaway.  Just a little change of pace to de-stress.  We've even considered a last-minute dash to the beach.  I think he's holding out for another time (maybe even next year) when we can stay for two weeks instead of our usual one.  I did, after all, promise him that some day we'd take two weeks at the beach.  (What was I thinking?!?)

This afternoon I am so grateful for a day of cooler weather.  It's nice to not have the air conditioning running all the time.  I'm grateful for a comfy chair in my room that makes it pleasant to sit and chat. I'm grateful for: enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment