Strange Wednesday

After a night of little sleep, I decided to walk anyway, even though it was after seven (like a whole hour later than I usually leave for my walk).  That late start to the day has made everything feel off-kilter.  I spent that last part of my walk receiving and answering texts - unusual for me that time of the morning.

Since it was so late when I got home from my walk, I decided to breakfast first, then shower.  That meant I didn't get my hair done until nearly 11.  What with arranging meals for a family in the ward, talking (sorta briefly) to the next door neighbor, getting The Husband off to the dermatologist, then getting a briefing when he returned, it felt like I was out of sync with my usual routine.

We've had sunshine, wind, and now it's raining big fat drops of rain. So for a few minutes the temperature is down in the 70's.  Yeah, it's really nice. And after the rainstorm last evening (we walked under an umbrella - so fun!) the air smelled fresh and the skies were stunning this morning.

Grumpy-fying  things today(didn't want to say "bad things today" so I settled on this):  the bat is back.  The neighbors are really moving.  It's still August.

Good things today:  that people care enough to text me first thing in the morning and arrange a time to come visiting teaching to me.  (It's been several months since I had a visit, it'll be nice.)  That I get stopped by a sister from the ward on my walk and she tells me that she is happy to take meals any time, to be sure to call her.  That there's been times in her life when it wasn't possible for her to take advantage of that opportunity, but that now she can and she's happy to do it. (How lovely for her to look at providing meals for someone in need as an "opportunity".) That it's almost September, a nicer month all the way around.

Had to walk AROUND the park, not thru.
And I had to share this picture of the mail we received today.  Only three things came.  In logical chronological order:  retirement, assisted living, and death.  They want to treat us to dinner and teach us how to retire (with the accompanying investments sales-pitch), they want us to live in their housing area (isn't quite assisted living, but pretty close) and they want us to fill out a survey so they can tap us for burials. This kind of mail is a "sign of the times" - a sign of the ages that we are.  :^|

Today I'm so grateful for the luxury of taking my morning walk whenever the mood strikes.  And for the ability to keep walking when the short walk I meant to do just wasn't enough. For running into those I care about on the trail. I'm grateful for neighbors that would rather call me on the phone and talk than just text.  I'm grateful for kind souls who say "I'd love to" when asked to take in a meal - there've been countless meals provided in the 18 months since we've been a ward. Selflessness is an awesome attribute. I'm grateful for medical help when we need it and for a fridge full of food - even for the leftovers for dinner tonight. I love this time of year when the seasonal fruits and veggies make mealtime an extra treat (almost time to get another watermelon and some more tomatoes). And I'm grateful for a comfy chair picked out just for me - yes, yet another luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment