A Fun Few Days

So last week, our daughter and her family arrived from out of town.  First thing Friday morning we headed to Utah County for the wedding / sealing of our granddaughter.  Followed by pictures, a luncheon and later an open house.  Fun festivities the whole day.  It was a lovely day all around. (And I didn't take a single picture! What was I thinking?)  My heart was warmed to see all of our children together in the same place.

Moving truck = sadness for me
And our neighbors moved.  Their house is under contract/ pending sale.  And they've moved into a rental while they build their house.  And every time I look over there and see no lights on at night, and no cars coming and going, I just want to cry.  In fact, I have shed some actual tears.  We both moved into our houses only 5 months apart.  I am going to miss them all so very much.  She might be young enough to be my daughter. But she's very dear to me.

Saturday we did some Friday catch-up.  I spent the entire day at home, The Husband had a couple errands.

The heat popped the dark ones!
Yesterday was the day The Husband had invited the kids (the ones who live locally) to come over for cake and ice cream for my "birthday week".  We ran to the dollar store for some balloons. And no matter what I said to try to keep things small and within reason I was met with the phrase (calmly but firmly spoken) "I'm doing this." Yes, we bought "some" balloons.  He bought 200 of them.  And I kept telling him he wasn't going to use them all and he just kept saying, let me have a bit of fun.

So we came home, The Husband fired up the compressor and snaked the cord into the family room and proceeded to fill, tie and hang multiple balloons.  Not quite 200, but still plenty -this picture only shows a fraction of them.  And it was hot out.  A record breaking hot day.  So he worked hard in the heat.  And pretty soon the kids started arriving.  And friends! For the third time he put together a surprise birthday celebration for me.  I kept telling him all afternoon he was "in so much trouble!"  And he just grinned that characteristic "pleased with myself" grin that he has that is so endearing.  He loved it all.
Yummy melon.

And I was so honored.  Here it was a holiday.  And hot.  Did I mention it was hot outside?  Yes, it was hot.  But 30+ people took a bit of time out of their day to come chat for a while, wish me happy birthday and not apparently mind that giving me a hug was an exercise in stickiness.

The Husband has truly made the last several decades an adventure worth living.  He helps me be grounded, find a bit of fun and enjoy the unexpected. What a treasure he is.

I'm so grateful today for the kindness of others.  And especially for The Husband who enriches my life in ways impossible to express.  I'm grateful for neighbors who share their cantaloupe, it made my breakfast so yummy.  And I'm grateful for cake and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment