Kindness

Lately it seems like everywhere I turn, I'm being smacked upside the face by this attribute:  Kindness. Notice how I capitalized the word.  There is nothing small or insignificant about that quality.  I could never over emphasize its importance.

I opened the church magazine to read today while lunching. And there it was again - right in front of my face.  Page after page.  

I see kindness all around me.  I see it in people who welcome others into their workplace with a smile and a virtual arm around the shoulders.  Saying, in effect, we're glad you're here.  We'll hate to see you go.  I see it in The Husband and the way he always treats others as though they are cherished friends (which they generally end up being to him).  I see it in my calling as I struggle with asking sisters to bring meals or do service for others.  How astonishing it still is to me when the response I receive is "I'd love to!" 

Yep, I still witness those unkind acts, the dismissal of other's needs, the superior attitude.  But it seems the more I notice the kindness response, it seems the more I find it.  Almost as though it's always been there, waiting in the wings for me to recognize how essentially good most people are.

I so loved these words about kindness.

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”― Mother Teresa


 "let us examine our lives and determine to follow the Savior’s example by being kind, loving, and charitable. And as we do so, we will be in a better position to call down the powers of heaven for ourselves, for our families, and for our fellow travelers in this sometimes difficult journey back to our heavenly home." --Thomas S. Monson

 "I sat in my study for a long time trying to think if I had ever known a happy person who was unkind or unpleasant to be with. And guess what? I couldn’t think of one—not a single, solitary one. So learn this great truth early in life: You can never build your happiness on someone else’s unhappiness." --Jeffrey R. Holland

I'm grateful for sweet people who are anxious for opportunities to be kind - and to serve.  I'm grateful especially for those who are kind to the ones I love. I'm hopeful that somewhere along the line I'll learn how to graciously ask for help, and grateful for the ability to help when I'm asked (which really, isn't all that often).  And today I'm grateful that tomorrow The Husband comes home, that this trip to the office is only a 3 day/2 night distance.  It's much more manageable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment