Getting Stuff Done

So, the security cameras have gone back to the store.  The Husband worked on them for two solid days with little success.  It seems lately things that purport to work a certain way, just don't.  And it shouldn't be that hard to get things to work properly.  It isn't because we're old and feeble. Things just aren't.

I have to say, my opinion of Sam's Club/Walmart was improved.  I've never, that I remember, had a return (though we rarely return things) go so smoothly.  "It didn't work for you.  No problem, the refund (of the entire amount) will go back on the card used for payment."  No questions asked, he didn't even really want to hear why, just all done.  We were in and out of the store in 5 minutes. Seriously. I even had a follow-up email saying Sam's was sorry things didn't work out but to watch for the refund on my card. Nice.

Then it was off to Lowe's.  And they did their best to reduce our opinion of Lowe's.  We've rarely been disappointed in that store.  But yesterday was a swing and a miss.  Completely.  We had the windows measured for the room darkening blinds.  (Paid $45 just for the measuring, and the sign inside the store said it was $35.  Sheesh.) Needed to go in to the store to choose what we would like for the windows so we could get a bid.  Obstructive, un-helpful, and downright condescending.  As I was asking for help, I mentioned that I'd like to get a copy of the measurements. She practically snarled at me.  We don't give customers their measurements.  Interesting.  They're my windows and my measurements.  No, the measurements the contractor took are the property of Lowe's.  Really.  And I see here we're scheduled to remove and haul away the previous blinds.  Oh, that's news to me, that was never discussed.  Well it's here on the form, and there's an extra charge for that.

So off we went (with discouragement and disbelief as to her attitude) to the window covering area to look at what they had.  A guy came over and offered to help.  I figure he knew the woman was completely off-putting and was trying to rectify things.  Asked if we were finding what we wanted and could he help us with any questions or choices.  I said that was our intent when we came into the store but now...I think we'll pass.  Lowe's won't be getting our business. 

And after a visit to Home Depot to look at what they had I think we've re-thought/refined our original plan.  I'll be anxious to hear what the designer/salesperson has to say when she comes this afternoon for our consultation.  I just dislike all the hard sales tactics and that it always takes three times as long as it needs to.  And frankly, I dislike having to do this in the first place, so perhaps it's my personal perspective that is messing things up. It just seems like such an arduous process.  And I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed.  

Stopped by the library to look for some sale books for our beach trip and was treated to a little bit of flower sunshine.  I've been to the library several times since this display went up.  How I missed it is an indication of how much I've been deep into problem solving (among other things) inside my head.  It's distressing to me that I never noticed it.  It's just stunning.  All those flowers are handmade (our daughter's talent is displayed there) out of paper.  The arch is just cardboard.  I just love the whole thing.  Brought a bit of lightness to my heart that I sorely needed.

We saw two groups of deer this morning on our walk. The antlers are growing large and it somehow makes them easier to see. And then, only about 15 feet away was a raptor bird of some kind intently focused on the bush across the trail.  It finally took off and dove into the bush but the tiny bird it was hoping to eat was faster that time.  Not usual for us to be that close to that kind of wildlife interaction.

I'm grateful for the moisture we have received that hasn't caused us any trouble.  It's been so sad and scary to watch hurricane Hilary's aftermath in CA.  So grateful for a snug home.  And I loved this quote that I read that someone posted somewhere on Instagram (so I haven't a clue who to attribute it to, hope I don't get sued) "If you're pretty, you're pretty.  But the only way to be beautiful is to be loving.  Otherwise, it's just congratulations about your face." I want to be beautiful but it's a hard road.

No comments:

Post a Comment