September

 I am sad that today I don't have any pictures to share.  Somehow or other that always feels like it lends a certain amount of validity to my thoughts.  But anyway, September is here.  My least favorite (hot, nothing going on, hot, and hot) month of August is over.   September can be a bit hot, but since the days are getting shorter we know the brutal heat of summer is done for the year.  

I've always loved September and the way the seasons change, there's a new school year for the kids,  and it just feels good to me.

It's been a bit of a week. • The Husband went in to have the new hearing aids adjusted.  So far: a bit of an improvement, we're monitoring the situation.   • The pile of rocks that were in the street are finally gone and I'm thinking that means the neighbor's yard improvement project (it's taken more than a year) is finally, finally finished.  They even did what they said they would (I predicted they wouldn't - so very glad to be wrong) and filled in the dirt they over-dug in our yard and laid fresh sod.  It isn't perfect, but it's a tremendous improvement and my nerves don't jangle every time I look at the damage they did.   • My ministering partner and I took one of the sisters we minister to to lunch. She's a sweetheart. I despise cancer and what it does to people.   • Went to dinner  with a friend, just the two of us.  The Husband always wants to know what we talk about for four hours!! Anything and everything.  I just love getting together with her.    • The room darkening shades have been ordered for the bathroom. We opted for the slow shipping, saved us several hundred dollars.  That means they won't come until the first week of October.  While I'm mentally chafing at having to spend all that money that we don't want to spend (and shouldn't have to spend) I'm so looking forward to a cessation of frustration and anxiety from the lights.  • We've seen deer nearly every morning we've walked.  One morning they were even trotting down our street, a rarity.   • Our former neighbor stopped Sunday by the church library and visited with us for about 20 minutes.  I don't often feel that kind of connection to other people, but with her, I always do.  I'm old enough to be her mother, not remotely in their financial class (or physical beauty class) and move in different circles.  But on the rare occasions I see her, I always feel valued and important.  Even if she doesn't feel that same connection with me, I'm grateful that she is so kind.   • Last week, coming out of Chick-Fil-A (The Husband's very, very favorite place to go) we responded to someone calling our name.  It was our friend we haven't seen for a while.  We used to get together with them frequently before her husband died.  That was a happy thing. 

I often feel like our world is very small.  We don't go a lot of places or see a lot of people.   Our age and lack of desire to spend $$ are both factors.  But really? Seeing just a couple people during the week tremendously boosts our outlook.  We don't feel quite so isolated.  It's good for us.

Today I'm grateful for the clouds and the promise of rain over the weekend.  Grateful for dinner plans that don't require a ton of preparation or trips to the grocery.  Grateful for several books to read.  And for hugs from loved ones.  I need those.

No comments:

Post a Comment