Beleagured

I used this word the other day.  Not sure I used it right, it just felt right to use it that way.  Doesn't it mean the same thing as besieged?  That's definitely how I've felt.

So, we had the furnaces checked out for the winter.  All systems go, they said.  But think about replacing them because they're old.  (They've been working just fine, and still seem to be - so, replace them just because they're old?  Hhmmm, maybe not quite yet.  I don't want to be replaced just because I'm old.)

Anyway, the next day we realized one furnace wasn't working.  Had a guy out to repair what the first guy broke.  (And broke it, he surely did.)  Then yesterday morning, I noticed the family room was quite cold. The furnace wouldn't kick on.  Off to church we went, left early to meet the furnace guy.  Yes, another fee and an extra "after-hours/emergency" fee. He spent a fair amount of time checking things out.  Finally decided that the furnace wasn't getting enough oxygen.  The vent atop the house (each furnace has it's own) works two ways:  intake of fresh combustion air, and venting of the furnace spent air.  Of course, it was a super cold/windy/blustery/snowy/miserable day so impossible to get on the steep roof to see if it's working properly.  But, he said, everything else checks out fine.  Determined the best way to get fresh combustible air to the furnace and after another $225 was on his way.

This morning, yup, the other previously working-broken-fixed furnace was again not working.  It's kinda cold out and the wind doesn't help things.  So when the furnace quits working the house chills quite quickly.  So, The Husband went down and did the same thing the furnace repair guy did yesterday, to the stubbornly-refusing-to-work furnace.  Immediately it started.  Whew!  Fingers remain crossed and prayers continue.  I think I'm about overloaded.

The other morning I was feeling a bit put upon, and verbally open about that.  Decided to eat the candy bar that was gifted to us.  (The Husband's was gone in about 2 minutes, mine has sat on my desk for over a week.)  One of the few times in my life I've breakfasted on a candy bar.  Guilt settled in.  But frankly, it was fun.  I even shared with The Husband.  And surprise - another one appeared on my desk.  I'll be saving it for another day.  :^) 

Breakfast the other day.
Last Thursday we headed over to see one of our finance guys.  For a "state of the affairs" meeting. He was encouraging.  But then, I think he's one of those guys who is always chipper. Told us not to worry, we'll be fine.  My number one question was what's going to happen when The Husband turns 73 later this year.  We'll get a mandatory boost in our income for sure. But hope our small account lasts long enough that we don't outlive it and die in poverty.  I think they (the powers that be, whoever that is) expect us to kick the bucket somewhere between ages 78 and 90.  

Anyway, on our way to see the finance guy,  the tire pressure monitoring system light came on.  Sigh.  One more problem.  Besieged. For sure.  We stopped in the rain and wind to fill the tire at the grocery store (I like their free pumps that you can preset the pressure).   Ran over to the church yesterday afternoon and that dang light was on again.  The Husband ran up to Big O this morning almost as soon as they opened.  Came home $29 poorer, and one screw richer. 

So, by 9:30 a.m. we'd already solved two big problems.  We think.  I had to skip exercise class this morning, but was grateful for my trusty treadmill. We also managed to pick up some sorely needed ice melt (it's supposed to be super cold the next couple nights) and a replacement for the little hand vac that finally died.  So, I guess that's four problems resolved.  Yay for us.

From the tire.
I'm working hard at controlling all those negative emotions that seem to overwhelm me lately.  Feels like there's been a lot going on.  I'm so, so, so ready for some peace and problem-free time.  I guess I probably shouldn't say that out loud, don't want to tempt the fates any further.  

Spent some time on Instagram.  Don't know if this word is really Swedish or if it really means that, but I love the concept.  And the one in pink?  Yup.  Considering buying some glitter. Maybe.


Let me think:  things to be grateful for today.  I'm grateful for furnaces that are actually working. For supplemental gas fireplaces that can help.  Grateful for the easily repaired tire. (It's a tiny bit of an adjustment only having one car.) Grateful that this afternoon is blissfully free - no appointments, no repairmen coming, no pressure.  We can just settle in for a bit - read, stitch, tv, games, whatever.  It's beautiful out just for today so we could even bundle up and go for a quick-ish walk in the sunshine while it lasts.  I'm grateful for a few hours respite from, well - everything.  I will revel in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment