Perfection

"Perfect" is  the word we hear bandied about a lot.  Especially among people of a certain age (much, much younger than me).  It kind of slaps me pretty much every time I hear it.  Not because it's offensive but because it's so patently false.  Nothing is ever really perfect.  In my humble opinion anyway.  It might seem so temporarily or on the surface.  But truly:  nothing is really perfect.  Including people.

I know that I've a tendency to over explain.  In my efforts to be clear and not misunderstood.  And often that over explaining leads to several reactions:  boredom (they're tired of listening so long), frustration (explanation doesn't require such detail), pity (yup, for me, the over explainer when they "get it already") or even laughter (at me not with me).   

And here I am over explaining my thoughts.

Been looking for a new temple dress for a long time.  Actually bought a skirt and top set that I love.  It's lovely, but I feel really conspicuous when I wear it.  It's a bit over the top and I'm uncomfortable seeming to be prideful with my apparel in a place where I should be humble and focused on service and Deity rather than what I'm wearing.  Regardless of how fancy other women are dressed.  That isn't really, and shouldn't be,  my goal.  (Not to mention that the skirt of that set is sheer - even with the lining - so I have to wear a slip which means there's too many layers and that's not very comfortable.)  So I've been on the hunt for a better skirt to wear with the top (haven't yet found anything suitable) or a new dress.  

not quite perfect

Received an email from one of my favorite shops the other day.  They have a new dress out.  Sounded "perfect" for me. Not form fitting, zips up the front, fun fabric, washable.  Great all around.  So we stopped in to have a look. It fits well, the sales lady suggested I might want to try on the next size smaller (my 25+ year old dress really is w-a-y too big) but I'm ok with this size.  I have room to move and the shoulder seams are placed right.  

First thing I noticed in the fitting room was the bottom foot or so of the front seam.  It's rippled.  Not sewn quite right and doesn't hang "perfectly".  I thought I'd ask to see another one of the same size, hoping it'd be more "perfect".  I kept thinking I'd ask,  but every time I thought about it I felt uncomfortable (almost restrained) from saying anything.  We bought the dress anyway (and I feel quite guilty about spending that much money on me).  All night long I mentally fussed about the imperfection in the dress.  Shall I take it back and ask for another better one? I can.  

Eventually I decided not to.  Not because it's too much trouble.  But because I think I'll embrace the imperfection.  It'll be a reminder that no matter how people (including me) think, speak or act, none of us is perfect.  That's why we go to church, attend the temple, minister to those around us and hopefully exhibit kindness always.  We're learning, growing and aspiring to become better disciples of Jesus Christ. One glance at my dress will cause me to pause and think and re-dedicate.  It'll be good for me.

And hopefully I'll enjoy wearing this lovely gift from The Husband.  

No comments:

Post a Comment