Issues

I dislike issues.  Doesn't everyone? 

Yesterday morning The Husband was having trouble with his Apple Pencil.  He uses it daily.  Things that don't work properly create issues.  He spent quite some time on the phone with Apple support trying to figure out what was wrong - basically re-doing all the things we had already tried.  Finally made an appointment to meet with the support staff at the Apple store.  We had a couple errands to run, then ended up in that awful not-enough-time-for-lunch-but-way-too-early-to-arrive-at-the-appointment span of time.  We found the closest Jamba Juice (I was certain I had a gift card) stopped in and splurged on a couple smoothies.  

It's been extra hot out, we were in w-a-y too much traffic, we were thirsty and we decided to just go for it.  And yup:  I apparently already used the Jamba Juice gift card.  They're w-a-y more expensive than we usually spend.  And is it just me, or does it feel like the costs for everything are just out of control/high right now?  Anyway, it was a lot of money.  But we sat in the shade for a few minutes and sipped our smoothies and just enjoyed them.   

Arrived at the appointment and after being unable to find us on the schedule, the employee said, oh, it was cancelled but I'll put you in the queue again and it won't be too long.  I'm sitting there mentally stamping my feet because I just knew it was going to take forever.  I realize I shouldn't mentally(or even physically)  stamp my feet in frustration.  It only took a couple minutes, the fragile metal part inside the tip was bad and the only fix was to replace the pencil.  So, Happy Birthday, My Love!! And we were out of there within 15 minutes.  Amazing.  And in spite of the fact that it all started with an issue, it turned out well enough. 

At the Bishop's Storehouse for our service mission we wear name badges.  They say "Sister...." and "Elder...."  Last week a friend came in for his shift and said to me: well, hello, "Elder....." I couldn't help my burst of laughter.  The Husband and I  had on the wrong badges for four hours there at the storehouse, talked to numerous people and not one person had noticed they were on the wrong bodies.  So today, when this friend arrived at the storehouse, I had to make sure he noticed that we had on the proper badges.  We had some fun conversation about that, among other things.  That's one of the best things about serving there at the storehouse.  We love the people we work with.  They buoy us up.

We stood in the shade of the garage and chatted with our friend who was returning some tables we loaned them for their garage/yard sale.  It was successful.  And I look around at all our stuff (which our friend says isn't a lot but to me it often feels burdensome) and think we should do that. But, no. 

And now I'm doing a few bills, enjoying our air conditioning and being grateful that today has been a decent day.  We come away from the storehouse totally worn out, and the heat saps my energy even more.  But we decided to skip the outdoor church social in favor of our cool inside chairs and I'm grateful that I don't even feel guilt about that.  It must be my age.  I dislike sweating whether it's because I'm stressed, socially uncomfortable or just plain hot.  So tonight, I'm avoiding it. 

I'm grateful as well, for a bit of self control today when really, it would have been so easy to kind of wig-out. Every day is another chance to be kind and patient and understanding. Some days are better than others, but I won't give up.  I'll keep at it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment