Boxes, Applesauce and Lucy

Spent a couple hours today helping out at the Welfare Square Cannery.  My second assignment there was to assemble the boxes for the finished applesauce (12 bottles to a box).   I found it somewhat interesting that parts of the boxes were packed in:  boxes!

Then I moved on to packing the applesauce in the boxes.  The applesauce bottles came down a conveyer belt, had the labels affixed and ended up in front of us.  I have to confess I had visions of Lucy (from I Love Lucy) in the episode of the chocolates on the conveyor belt.  At one point I even pictured myself having to put bottles of applesauce in my pockets in order to keep up.  It made the time go a little faster.

How grateful I am for an organization that watches out for those who have a need, for those who volunteer their time to help fulfill that need.  Gratitude also is mine for having the opportunity to be of service to someone else, however indirect it might be as it was today.  All I did was help package applesauce.  But I kept picturing some small child with a particular hunger for applesauce and being so happy to enjoy it.

I probably will never again view applesauce in quite the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment