Generosity

I've been thinking about this concept lately - that of generosity or being generous.  There are all kinds of ways people are generous.
Some are generous with their smiles, or their hugs.
Some are generous with their talents.
Some are generous with their money.
Some are generous with their time.
Some are generous with their knowledge.
Some are generous with their - how shall I put this - bossiness.
Some are just generous souls clear through.
When we've visited in their homes, our adult children have been generous to us with pretty much everything.

We haven't always been in a position to be generous with our material goods, so much of our marriage was just a struggle to keep on top of the costs of living and having a family.  We've tried always to be generous with our time and energy - to serve, and help - wherever we could, sometimes being more successful at our efforts than at other times.

The last few years whenever I've said to The Husband that I wanted to do something for someone, which often means spend a little money to give someone something, his response is always "we can afford to be generous" or "it's always good to be generous" or some similar sentiment.

My growing up years were even more fraught with financial difficulties.  I don't know if it was because my parents truly didn't have enough money or if they just weren't very good at handling money.  I suspect it was a combination of both.

I've grown increasingly aware of the different expressions of people's generosity.  I also am so grateful for The Husband's perspective.  I imagine it comes down to the Christ-like attribute of concern for others and (the opposite of selfishness) benevolence and altruism.  What a lofty aspiration.  That shall be my goal (yet another one) - to be more generous in whatever positive way I can be.  I have a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment