Grocery Store and Serendipity

Made my usual Tuesday afternoon trek to the grocery store.  Tuesdays because by then the deliveries have come in as opposed to Monday morning when they haven't.  And I noticed something - again - that is a bit disconcerting.  Several times in the last little while I've been to the grocery and found.....empty shelves.

I don't know the reason. There could be many.  But, it does bother me a bit.  And then it reminds me how much I've always taken for granted the plenty we have in this country.  The abundance of food on shelves, the variety and multitude of things for the taking - just plunk down a bit of money and it's mine.  I don't want to be a person who takes things for granted.

So today, I'm grateful for our grocery stores and the bounty of food they hold.  My hope is that we never have to endure what it means to have stores with mostly empty shelves - and the few things that are on the shelves too expensive for us to buy.  That would be hunger not only for the body, but also for the soul.

Serendipitously, I happened to call the Symphony office to see where our season tickets are.  We buy them in May, they are printed and sent out in August and we have them in our eager hands for the performances throughout the season.  But, ours never arrived.

Come to find out they had a huge problem with the printers and the mailing.  Lots of subscribers never received their tickets.  Including us.  But the serendipitous thing is - our first tickets are for Friday night - 3 days from now.  Had I waited to call until next week, we'd have missed our first concert.

I choose, though, to think this is more than serendipity (I just love that word and it's meaning).  I believe this is one of those tender mercies, where The Lord makes clear His hand in our lives.  In this instance, saving us inconvenience, money and irritation.  I'm doubly looking forward to Friday night - it will be an extra-special evening because my being there will be a tender mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment