Piano

I've been grumpy in the past about my seemingly assigned seat at the piano bench, usually in a corner of the (take your pick) R. S. room, primary room, chapel, baptism, funeral, fireside, Senior Care Center, or any number of other occasions.

Not that I don't enjoy playing for all of those things.  I really always have.  I just (and w-a-y too vocally - a thing that I now regret) mentioned how I could do other things besides use my ten fingers and a toe-on-the-pedal.

My thinking has shifted.  I now really prefer sitting behind the piano in the the corner of the room.  It encourages me to attend things I otherwise might not, and contribute and be a witness to or experience things I otherwise might not be able to.

I was invited to play for a baptism yesterday - the son of my visiting teacher.  What (yet again) a privilege.  I always come away from occasions where I get to play feeling so uplifted, with a fresh buoyancy in my heart (and feet), feeling just a teensy bit needed and valued.

Perhaps the ultimate motivation is selfishness.  I'd like to think there's a bit more to it than that, even though I am the one who benefits the most.


1 comment: