Take Time To Listen

I spent the afternoon with a friend at the LDS Church Museum perusing the International Art Exhibit.  Eye candy.  Uplifting.  A young friend of ours from the Singles Branch that The Husband was involved in had a painting there, and there was a quilt by a lady from the quilt group I belonged to - what fun to see something by someone we know.

My absolute favorite of the entire collection was titled "A Time To Listen" - a painting of a girl tuning her violin.  It's a relatively small painting, in beautiful colors.  The young lady has her head bent close in to her instrument listening to the sound of the strings as she tightens them up to make sure they're in tune.  (You can see it here:  Make Known His Wonderful Works.)

The little explanation card next to the painting talked about how our world is filled with lots of noise, some of it intrusive.  And to truly hear, we have to lean in, concentrate and pay attention.

If we want to hear inspiration from the scriptures, answers to our prayers, or wisdom from our Heavenly Father we must be equally focused.

I loved that the words and the painting evoked a response from me - I immediately wanted to just be quiet and listen.  I think really listening is a skill that we don't cultivate enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment