Alzheimer's / Grocery / Peonies

I know they say if you're worried about being truly crazy you're most likely not crazy.  But what about Alzheimer's?  I worry about that affliction.  My Mom had it.  My aunt and uncle had it.  I don't want to get it.   But I forget stuff.  And I get confused.  Today has felt like Thursday all day long (but the garbage men came so it must be Wednesday).  Sometimes I read words that aren't the words I read.  I put commas in the wrong place.  I nearly got in the wrong truck last fall.  Today I didn't recognize the voice on the other end of the phone, even though I should have. It is just darn scary.  I think I'd like a vaccine to protect me from Alzheimer's.  It might already be too late....sigh....

I continue to be a captive audience for amusements at the grocery.  Walking down the aisle this afternoon, I watched a youngster (looked to be about 4) with his Gramma.  Bridger was his name.  He bounded ahead of the cart, straight over to the shelf of marshmallows.  Grabbed the corners of a bag, bringing the end over to his nose and just leaned over and inhaled.  (Made me want to go over and see if I could smell marshmallow aroma through the bag.) Marshmallow-scent inhaling continued till Gramma called his name, then off he went with a presumably happy nose.

Pretty Pink Peonies 
Monday afternoon the peonies were just popping open their sweet blooms.  Tuesday the bush was pelted most of the day with rain.  And again for a brief minute today.  But...the blossoms still nudge my beauty meter.  I so love the way they brighten the front of our house.  They might look a teensy rain-bedraggled today but I'm betting that tomorrow they'll be happy and perky once again.

All day long I've tried to think of something to spark my gratitude.  Managed to come up with a couple things:  a snug roof protecting us from the rain, clothes to iron, a fun book to read and most important of all - someone who never seems to mind my perpetually gloomy state of mind and bestows hugs in a never ending supply.  There is always, always something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment